Retired with FM & CFIDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia six years ago when my doctor ran all the necessary tests and eliminated every other disease. Those results were sent (along with me) to a rheumatologist, who found enough tender points to give me the official diagnosis.

I've often wondered if I have CFIDS/ME. The kicker was that I don't have a sore throat, so I never bothered to ask my doctor.

Well, I started rereading Dr. Teitelbaum's "From Fatigued to Fantastic" and right in the first chapter, he lists the symptoms and says you have the illness if you have at least four of the symptoms. I do. But I don't have the "big" one: postexertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.

A few days ago, I started thinking about that symptom. I thought because I'm retired and can pace my activities maybe that's why I don't feel a 24-hour sickness. I can stop doing whatever I'm doing if I start feeling tired. And can take one or two naps if I want.

What do you think? How many of you are retired and handling your illness?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2009]
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am on retirement disability at the moment and I think you are on to something. Even though I do get PEM, now that I have more time, I can pace myself better like taking a nap or rest before going out. I think that after several years of different combinations of meds., I have the right combination of meds. which help with symptoms, but as you know that can change.

I also think that I can read my body better as far as cues that mean I might crash or know I am going to be in pain and able to catch it before it gets worse.

I am going to try subbing, maybe several half days a week to start but that remains to be seen.

I also question if I have CFS as I do not get sore throats, swollen glands and feel it is more neurological. In fact I never catch anything, even when teaching younger children. If I started getting symptoms and got a good night's sleep, I can throw it off. I have always been like this.

However, my PCP wants me to get the flu shots because I am immunocompromised, but I don't think I am. She said that even if I am not, having FM and getting the flu could increase the intensity of the symptoms which for me are very flu like.

3. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Jam, I was forced into retirement back in 2002, two years after I lost my husband to lung cancer. Between the forced retirement and the grief, I ended up with fibromyalgia. After a few years of research, I learned that pacing and stress reduction was so important. I took Bruce Campbell's online class, "The CFIDS and Fibromyalgia Self-Help Course" and his book has been my bible ever since.

As I've come across research on taking supplements, I added them to my daily regime. I think I'm much better now, but according to Bruce's Energy Envelope, I'm functioning at only 40% of my previous energy level. That's okay because I now have complete control of my life and can live it at a pace of my own choosing.

Gap, I've always had a flu shot. Whenever I get a cold, it most always ends up in bronchitis and lasts for six weeks. If I didn't have a flu shot, I don't know how long I'd be sick. I'll get one (regular flu) this fall, but I don't think they'll be giving us seniors shots for the H1N1 flu. Not enough to go around, and they think we have a built-in immunity to it since we lived through the 50's and 70's epidemics.

4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Traumatic events can be a precursor to FMS. However CFS results from some kind of viral onset, like a flu or EBV. I think FMS can cause PEM as well in some people.

It also may be that there are different subgroups of people with CFS and/or FMS as some claim that they got the symptoms gradually. Whether that really ME or not, I don't know.

My CFS and FMS have both continually gotten much worse after I went on Disability in 2000. I don't believe there is any correlation with my lifestyle and these illnesses in me. These diseases have a mind of their own. I can only try to manage my symptoms.