retraining your brain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mightyslo, Dec 11, 2002.

1. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

I received some information on this from a friend who is a doctor. She had suffered with constant migraines for over 20 years. She was not able to find anything to treat her pain.
    Recently she read some had success with a process called Neurofeedback that retrains your brain thru a type of biofeedback. You just watch a computer fro a short preiod of time a few times a week. The theory is that whats happening during a migraine is similair to a seisure. This is actually another benefit as it also treats seizures. She said that shes been migraine free for several weeks.
    She is now going for training to learn this technique to offer this treatment to her patients as she believes strongly that this will be a great benefit to CFS/FM suffers.
  2. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

I received some information on this from a friend who is a doctor. She had suffered with constant migraines for over 20 years. She was not able to find anything to treat her pain.
    Recently she read some had success with a process called Neurofeedback that retrains your brain thru a type of biofeedback. You just watch a computer fro a short preiod of time a few times a week. The theory is that whats happening during a migraine is similair to a seisure. This is actually another benefit as it also treats seizures. She said that shes been migraine free for several weeks.
    She is now going for training to learn this technique to offer this treatment to her patients as she believes strongly that this will be a great benefit to CFS/FM suffers.
  3. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

You've got my curiosity aroused now..
    ok, so this bio feedback works for the headaches and seizures, but how can it be used to treat cfs/fm?
    Give us details.

Love,
    HOB
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I'm not sure that this will reverse CFS/FM....
    When neurological studies show an elevation of substance P in spinal fluid, and chemical imbalances, damaged receptors, etc. in the brain.
    Is this a new "neurofeedback", or is this the biofeedback that has been known for years. I have seen that the reg. biofeedback--in those cases of chronic pain I have observed, didn't due the trick.
    Karen
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

He's the one who had this done, and got well and left the Board! After 2 sessions he was out job hunting, following on six yrs. of disability! I think this is the same thing he had done, and the same thing that is in the article on the front page right now. It's called SYNAPS or Synergistic Neurotherapy Adjustment Process. If your brain waves are made normal again, that would in turn normalize the production of neurohormones, like substance P. The NIH study showed complete remission in patients with FMS, esp. post-traumatic FMS. I have tried in vain to locate someone trained to do this therapy. The closest I've found was N. Carolina, and I live in Florida. I'm told there are only 600 people trained to do it in the whole U.S. Father Troll was lucky because Dr. Stuart Donaldson, who invented the therapy is right there in Calgary, near where he lives.
    Klutzo
  6. fibolady

fibolady New Member

this has peaked my curiosity. (had a migraine for 5 days now) i live in north carolina, klutzo, i hope you read this post again. could you post the nc doctor who works with this technique.

warm regards, fibolady
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2002]
  7. BonBons

BonBons New Member

Fibolady, I'm sorry about your migraine, I get them for days, too. I'll be trying Botox in January. Have you ever tried Maxalt MLT? That helps me a lot. I've also used Benadryl, strong cup of coffee and 6 ibuprofen and then a repeat of the coffee in 30 minutes. (Of course if you're nauseous, that's out). Hope you are over it soon. BonBon
  8. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

And I have a friend who researches brain chemistry who agrees with me.
    When I first got fibro, I was suffering abysmal pain just about everywhere -- it was really severe. But I strongly believed that because the pain had no organic cause, that the brain would eventually learn to disregard it. So I hardly ever took any painkillers, tried as much as possible to ignore it, and tried to let my brain decide how significant or insignificant the pain was (whilst in the meantime distracting myself by using a computer). And gradually this has happened -- my brain has raised the bar on pain thresholds -- I'm sure the pain is still there (and sometimes, when I'm fatigued or flaring) I'll notice it. But most times I don't. Pain is not really a problem for me anymore.
    This phenomenon will have happened to many people on the board to some degree, whether they realize it or not. The only problem is that the brain has to *respond* to the pain before ignoring it, and that's why incessant pain causes fatigue -- because the brain is programmed to shut down the body in the event of pain, so that it can heal itself.
    Sadly, curing pain is not the end of it, because you're left with a misfiring nervous system, which has its own set of problems (nerve irritation, dysautonomia, neuropathies etc).
    It's a complicated picture, but to answer your question, yes -- visualization therapy to overcome pain is certainly possible.
    --marcus
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2002]
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I researched this long, long ago when Father Troll was here by going to Dr. Stuart Donaldson's website,which I don't remember and can't list anyway. I'm sure a websearch will turn it up for you and you can find out who is available that way. I remember looking at a listing and seeing they were clustered in places far away from me,and N. Carolina was closest. That's about all I remember, it's been so long. In fact, thanks for reminding me, I may go check it out again....maybe someone in Florida has qualified by now to do this treatment.
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  10. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

The one Im talking about is "eeg Institute" a foundation for research on neurofeedback. Its in Encino, Ca in the (818) area code.

Sorry Fibrolady I don't know where else they are but you can call them and see if they know who does this in your area.
    Im not sure under the guidelines here what else I can tell you about it but they have a website you can check out.

Mslo