Retrovirus XMRV associated with CFS!!!! Published in the journal Science!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by johnvincent, Oct 8, 2009.

1. johnvincent

johnvincent New Member

Here it is! The big discovery mentioned at the WPI fund-raiser. The journal Science is THE most respected scientific journal and they have never published on CFS before. Finally the patients get the recognition they deserve and never again will a doctor be able to say this is not a real disease. The authors of this paper are some of the most respected scientists in the world. Enjoy!
  2. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Maybe a breakthrough????? This is so exciting that they may be fnally finding the culprit to this disease.. They mentioned the Lerner Institute at Cleveland Clinic. Do you happen to know if this is tied to Dr. Martin Lerner??? I have never heard him mention the Cleveland Clinic.

Thanks for posting this for us..
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thanks for posting this article and Welcome to ProHealth johnvincent.

It's great to see that the medical community is finally taking CFS seriously. I'm interested in seeing how this new finding develops.

4. znewby

znewby Member

This shows some of the news links
  5. petemora

petemora Member

Virus Associated With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Scientists have found evidence that a virus may play a role in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Vincent C. Lombardi of the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Reno, Nev., and scientists elsewhere studied 101 patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, a baffling, debilitating and controversial condition that affects an estimated 17 million people worldwide. They discovered that 68 of the patients -- 67 percent -- had a virus in their blood known as the xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus or XMRV. Only eight of 218 similar subjects who did not have chronic fatigue syndrome -- 3.7 percent -- had the virus in their blood, the researchers report in a paper published online Thursday by the journal Science.

Further studies showed that the virus is indeed infectious, and can "provoke" the immune system to respond.

The researchers cautioned that the findings far from prove that the virus causes chronic fatigue. It may be just part of the picture. But they suggest that the virus may at least contribute to the development of the disorder. This isn't the first time a virus has been associated with the condition. Previous research has suggested that some herpes viruses and other viruses may also play a role.

In an article accompanying the research, John Coffin of Tufts University in Boston and Jonathan Stoye of the National Institute for Medical Research in London agreed. They noted that there are many unanswered questions about the virus, including how it is transmitted. But if the findings are representative of what's going on in the general public, perhaps 10 million Americans and hundreds of millions of people worldwide might be infected with the virus, which could turn out to be playing a role in a variety of diseases. The virus previously was found in some patients with prostate cancer.

By Rob Stein | October 8, 2009; 2:00 PM ET |
  6. Elisa

Elisa Member
  7. Grad Student

Grad Student New Member

start doing your research on HIV medication cause those are the drugs they are talking about and that is the direction to head in.

[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2010]
  8. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

I usually take these announcements with a grain of salt, but this is looking good!
  9. RunningAntelope

RunningAntelope New Member

67% is statistically significant and higher than any other putative causal agent thus far I believe. Perhaps Drs. Peterson and Cheney will be vindicated once and for all. The question is, do treatment scenarios differ for early illness vs more entrenched illness? I would think retroviral drugs would be key in the nascent stage of infection, but immunomodulatory approaches might be better for a sustained disease state. I no longer feel like I have an infection, though it may be latent and coding for proteins at a low level, whereas some patients who have suffered for more than a decade still "feel" infected (not me).

I have always suspected that TRUE CFIDS is a retroviral condition, and if it replicates more slowly than HIV, that makes a heck of a lot of sense. That it would be associated with some lymphomas is more reaffirmation in my mind. The 67% is curiously close to the roughly 70% of the disease cohort that remembers an acute viral infective phase. Perhaps the other 30% have the CF part of CFIDS, with a similar, but wholly different pathophysiology, like my brother. Moreover, this retroviral theory would correlate well with destruction of the T-cells that are the commanders of the immune system, rendering them incapable of recruiting the response necessary and rendering NK cytotoxicity utterly futile. Still, it's early, and we've been here before.

[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2009]
  10. zeowa

zeowa New Member

I agree with your premise that early-stage vs. late-stage treatments may be very different. I too feel that I do not have an active acute infection, but that something low level is happening and clearly rises to the surface in reaction to all different kinds of stressors. I know from treatments with many "normal" meds that undertaking retrovirals could be catastrophic for me. I have not followed the Ampligen debate too closely as its presumed approval has become a joke to me, but it sounds like it could function as an immunomodulator.

Wonderful insight in your second paragraph as well.

This is, quite frankly, a day I didn't expect to see. Though the specifics of diagnosis and treatment are many years away I suspect, I can't help but see it as 'the real thing' considering where this info is being published! I cannot wait to see how the CDC will respond to this (with time of course), and I look forward to the psych practitioners who've pushed the "trauma" theory stepping back from their pedestals, or maybe even having the pedestals ripped right out from under them.
  11. RunningAntelope

Admittedly, I haven't fully vetted this whole thing yet, but 95% of what population. 95% of the cohort that Peterson already carved out as having been part of the initial Incline Village epidemic, what he would probably consider to be absolutely true cases of CFIDS?
  12. RunningAntelope

Admittedly, I haven't fully vetted this whole thing yet, but 95% of what population. 95% of the cohort that Peterson already carved out as having been part of the initial Incline Village epidemic, what he would probably consider to be absolutely true cases of CFIDS?
  13. onset1990

onset1990 Member

My mother died of Hodgkins Lymphoma at 44 yrs old. I have CFS and my daughter has had chronic EBV since she had mono at 15 yrs old. Hers is indeed chronic. Relapses occur whenever she has intense physical or mental stress. She doesn't have CFS symptoms (exrcise intolerance, etc). I am so excited about these findings but I cringe at the connection to cancer. I guess I had put it in the back of my mind that our killer Tcells are already affected.
  14. RunningAntelope

Interesting quotes from the NIH link posted at the top of the prohealth forum:

"The scientists provide a new hypothesis for a retrovirus link with CFS. The virus, XMRV, was first identified by Robert H. Silverman, PhD, professor in the Department of Cancer Biology at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute, in men who had a specific immune system defect that reduced their ability to fight viral infections."

"The discovery of XMRV in two major diseases, prostate cancer and now chronic fatigue syndrome, is very exciting. If cause-and-effect is established, there would be a new opportunity for prevention and treatment of these diseases," said Silverman, a co-author on the CFS paper.

While it's early yet, Dr. Cheney has already put up a blog and feels that this very well could be the causative agent he and Dan Peterson had so vigilantly sought in the early years of the epidemic (only time can tell for sure), and the original DeFreitas work was highly suggestive of a retrovirus in finding hits based on samples that showed severe CD4 depletion and high RNase-L activity. And that's what makes the above quotes fascinating, because, of a similar corruption in the RNAse-L pathway in the prostate cancer victims as well. He gives major kudos to Dr. Judy Mikovits for staying with the quest.

If Cheney is right, this retrovirus (because that's what retroviruses do) would be fully capable of forcing the redox shift he has so eloquently detailed that allows the opportunism of other pathogens, gut corruption, decoupling of P450 and NADPH, and environmental stress, as well as the association with the compromised NK cytotoxicity. As I've said before, I believe Drs. Paul Cheney and Dan Peterson will be proven correct in the fullness of time, and all of the messed up CD4/CD8 ratios, evidence of neural dysfunction, and elevated RNAse-L response in the original samples is chronicled in detail in Osler's web, as well as the fight against the medical orthodoxy.

It's the virus, dummy!

15. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I think it's very possible that a Retrovirus is causing CFS but what doesn't make sense to me is that many people get it at the same time after having mono. Like that woman and her 2 kids I posted about here today.

The WPI says "No, retroviruses are not traditionally airborne viruses. However, since XMRV is a blood borne retrovirus, it may be possible to transmit through sexual contact, sharing needles, blood transfusions, and breastfeeding. Sharing household items like toothbrushes, razors, or items that come into contact with blood is not recommended as a precautionary measure."

Also interesting "Currently there are only three known infectious human retroviruses; HIV, HTLV-1 and 2 and now XMRV. HIV causes AIDS and HTLV-1 and 2 causes T-cell leukemia and T-cell lymphoma. XMRV is the most recent retrovirus discovered to infect humans and has been linked to neurological disease and prostate cancer."

and thankyou Luminescent for suggesting we look at the WPI site.
  16. RunningAntelope

From the WPI:

"Causation of ME/CFS is likely to be a multi-factorial process which occurs in a susceptible person with common viral co-infections. Chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex, systemic neuro-immune disease that is estimated to affect over one million Americans and 17 million people worldwide. ME/CFS has traditionally been diagnosed by the exclusion of other similarly presenting conditions, such as MS and lupus, and by a series of symptoms; making the diagnosis an expensive and difficult process. Until now, a single viral link (while suspected by many) had not been made because so many common viruses have been found to be reactivated in persons with ME/CFS. This finding suggests a role for XMRV in the pathogenesis of ME/CFS and creates a better understanding of the disease. Our work suggests but does not prove that XMRV may be the underlying cause of ME/CFS. Much additional work needs to be done to understand how XMRV causes disease and what types of diseases it is linked to it."

And, one more for the doubters in the medical community (as well as this board):

"Absolutely! Actually, there are thousands of research articles showing the very real biological problems that ME/CFS patient’s experience such as low NK cell count and function, MRI and SPEC scan changes, and repeated chronic infections, to mention just a few. Only the most stubborn and misinformed individuals refuse to believe that this disease is real and serious. The process of placing poorly understood illnesses into a psychological category is very similar to what happened in the early days of MS and epilepsy before the advent of technologies which proved the illnesses were “real.” Unfortunately, many in the scientific and medical fields have not learned from their past mistakes."

17. Elisa

Elisa Member

I am in tears...

Cheney confirms and speaks of his belief in "causality" of this virus and ME/CFS.

I will more carefully read his response and add a few more comments in a few minutes!

For me, this is really it! Tears keep coming...

God Bless (and He has),

18. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi mOJoey,

Dr. Cheney posted his thoughts at I'm a previous patient and a subscriber - you are too, as I recall!

God Bless,

19. RunningAntelope

God, and I think back to the CDC stymiing and thwarting the inquiry and massaging the background chemical primer to produce results that corroborated their "theory" that there was no "there" there in relation to Defreitas' retroviral finding, as chronicled in Osler's web. It reminds me of that infamous old adage, "We're from the government and we're here to help." Think of all the years we've lost and how many lives have been utterly decimated in the process; the suicides, the bedridden zombies, the people who lost all of their friends and family. Just makes me sick. And it took a private grant to ultimately solidify this correlation. All I can do is shake my head.

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2009]
  20. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thanks for posting Cheney's Blog. I checked it out and you guys are right, it's great to see Cheney and Peterson coming full circle.

Cheney makes some interesting statements although I can only read a bit of it as I can't spend the money now to become a member.