Returned from my cruise to Alaska I survived

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Jul 29, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Hi, all! I finally got home late last night, after a two and a half hour delay in my flight home from Seattle. It's good to be home, but I still feel like I have a rocking deck under my feet. My brain still thinks we are at sea. I'm told this will stop after a day or two. I HOPE so.

The cruise went well, after starting with a migraine from solvents being used to remodel the hotel in which we stayed the night before the cruise. The headache hit our first night at sea, but I was ok by morning.

I had a great time, finally succumbed to the fabulous dessert layout the last day on board, so I did pretty well, food-wise. I ate a lot of fish (we were in Alaska, after all!) and tried to stay with lots of fruits and veggies. Not sure how much weigth I gained, but only a couple pounds, I think.

Balancing herself and bracing her legs against the rough sea the first night and day at sea bothered my mom's hips and back, so she had a lot of pain in those areas during the cruise. Her fibro kicked up too, so she wasn't too happy most of the cruise. She said this cruise pointed out clearly her limitations for traveling. I wish I could do more for her, she is so unhappy about this.

I had a good week with my Mom, though, good bonding time. We talked and talked about everything and anything. I will treasure this time with her.

In Juneau, I went whale watching on a catamaran boat, and spent a lot of time out on deck in the wind and salt spray and rain. I knew what the consequences would be, but I did it anyway. We saw 3 different pods of humpback whales and bald eagles and black tailed Sitka deer, and Stellar seals. Quite a successful voyage!

I figured all the salt spray and rain in my face was an 'Alaskan facial'! Well, wind burn, anyway. It was exhilarating!!

I did pay for that with sinus and fibro problems for a couple days, but it was well worth it!!

I want to go back to the town of Ketchikan, as it is set in a gorgeous rain forest. Mom stayed aboard, and I explored the town and surroundings myself. I was feeling good that day, so was able to do a lot of walking and a little hiking on the trails. I want to go back there, stay in the lodge that is accessed by a tram going up the mountain or by trails throught the forest, and take tours from there. I have some research to do...

Not sure I want to do a lot of cruising, as I was a bit frustrated by needing to stick to their schedule. However, the service was excellent, the food was superb and way too plentiful, and the ship was elegant and clean and exceptionally well maintained.

A good week, now comes the unpacking and laundry and back to reality. I need to feel like the ground is stable under me, too.

Oh... the ship had Purell stations all over the place, and all the passengers were encouraged to 'Purell' frequently and wash our hands often. We were handed antibacterial hand wipes when returned from shore, as we went through security. Good idea, with the potential for illness spreading within a closed community like a ship. I appreciated this health measure!

So, I am home and doing well, slept well on board and hope that continues at home.

Thank you all for your advice and encouraqement before I left. BTW, 12.5 mg meclizine (dramamine) was very useful and didn't make me sleepy at all. Yay!

be well,

Beth.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

It sounds like you had a good trip. That time with your Mom will be very precious. It's a cruise that I've always wanted to take so I appreciate the details.
    Now you can rest and remember the good times.

Kathy.
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Real glad you had a nice time.Hope you will post a few pictures when you have time.

Would be nice to see how beautiful the ship was and the sceneries .

Hugs>>>>>>>sue
  4. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I have loved the 3 cruises I've been on! And hubby and I are flying to Alaska on Labor Day weekend, to visit my daughter and her family. Can't wait!!

I'm really glad you had a nice time, bonding with your mom. And I really believe you can't beat a cruise for the amount of money you spend. They just treat you like royalty and the food is unreal!!

Rest up now and just enjoy your memories, as I'm sure your mom will. PG
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Welcome back and glad you had a mostly good experienec. I always regretted not sailing the inside passage when we lived in WA stae and seeing Alaska, now I am too far away. Did you see the Northern Lights?

I liked the movie "Leaving NOrmal" as it is set in Alaska a lot and such lovely scenery.

Love Anne C
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I hate to tell you, but you can't see Northern lights in the summer up there....it's too light! But in the winter, they are awesome! Terri
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Thankyou for sharing your cruise adventure with us!! sounds like you had a great time and will be something you will always treasure! Time with your Mom is so important too!!...............................................................sisland
  8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm so glad that you had such a great time and was able to
    form some wonderful memories with your mother!! Sorry, you
    missed the "summer" we had while you gone, but sounds like
    it was a good tradeoff!! I'm sure Cosmo is so happy you
    are back for those walks along the Beach!!

"Talk" latter,
    MRDAD
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

thanks for the replies!

I'm glad to be home, just wish my equilibrium would stabilize. I'm still feeling like the deck is rocking. It's a little better today, hopefully will be gone by tomorrow. It's odd to be swaying like I'm a bit drunk... Alaskan amber ale is wonderful, but I didn't bring any home!

Mrdad, I heard about the 'heat wave', and that it got all the way up to 78 degrees in Pacifica!

also heard about the scorching temps up and down the western seaboard. yikes.

Anyway, time to walk the dogs and go buy groceries.

Hugs to you all!

beth.

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for sharing the story of your Alaskan cruise. Did you go on Holland America, by any chance?

I am mostly housebound now, with severe CFS, but three summers ago, I went on a cruise with old friends from Minnesota, down the Inside Passage, with stops at Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka.

I went on a whale watch in Juneau and flew in a small floatplane into Misty Fjords National Monument near Sitka. We visited the bald eagle sanctuary in Ketchikan. I would give anything now to just walk around those small Alaskan towns again!

It rained for most of our cruise, but the glaciers and wildlife were incredible. We disembarked in Vancouver, and then flew home from Seattle (funny; we also had a long delay--on America West). I enjoyed the time with friends, the formal dinners, the cornucopia of food, the glaciers.

I'm glad you got to make this trip.

Sincerely,

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2006]
  11. BethM

BethM New Member

Kholmes, yes we were on Holland America line, on the MS Zaandam. Sounds like you were on a similar itinerary to ours. We sailed out of Seattle, went to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria BC, and back to Seattle.

It also rained and was cloudy for most of our trip, but that did not matter at all!

I appreciate all the lovely comments, thank you all.

I checked online about going back to Ketchikan again, and there are flight and hotel packages that aren't too scary to think about. My sweetie asked if I want to go back for a long weekend! Amazing. Not yet, though.

Got my photos back last night, some nice ones, and I swear there are whales in the whale watching photos! Really!! If I can manage, I'll post a photo or two.

Hugs,
    Beth.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I hope you get to go back to Ketchikan again. Wouldn't it be nice to stay at the beautiful hotel at the top of the funicular--that funny lift which you ride to the top of the hill?

Our ship was the Statendam. I really liked Holland America. Our cruise was from north to south, from near Anchorage to Vancouver, but I imagine the itinerary was similar to yours. The only thing of interest that we got to see farther north of your trip was the College Fjords, but if you saw Glacier Bay, it's very similar.

You're right; the rain didn't matter. I was constantly on deck, looking at the scenery or keeping an eye out for whales. What a beautiful trip.

I hope you post some photos!

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2006]
  13. wkirk87

wkirk87 New Member

I'm sorry, I know this is a little off-topic, but why did you choose a cruise to Alaska? I've been having severe sinus headache problems from my allergies to pollen, have been thinking that living somewhere too cold for plants to survive would help tremendously, and am going to schedule a trip to somewhere like Alaska to put my theory to test. If this is why you went, what did you find? Any help will be appreciated!
  14. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

glad you made it back
  15. BethM

BethM New Member

Honestly, my mother wanted to cruise to Alaska and asked me to join her! We both preferred to avoid anywhere where the temperature would be too hot, and didn't want to chance the possiblity of hurricanes, so Alaska was it.

I had few allergy problems while on shore in Alaska, even with the enormous amount of plant growth there during their short but intense growing season. My allergies are pretty mild overall, though.

good luck with your allergies and your search for relief.

Peace,
    Beth.
  16. wkirk87

wkirk87 New Member

Thank you anyways. Don't worry, the doc yesterday seemed very smart, so I should be fine.