Returning Vets Now Have Gulf War Illness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Mikie, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just read in the newspaper that returning soldiers are returning with Gulf War Illness. The newspaper mentioned PTSD and Fibromyalgia among the symptoms they are having. They are looking into toxins which the soldiers were exposed to, among aother things.

I hope they look into mycoplasma infections which infected 2/3 of the first Gulf War vets with GWI. The count is probably higher due to the prevalence of false neg. lab results. The incidence in the public at large is around 6 percent. This type of mycoplasma is especially virulent and is man made in a lab. It's possible the vaccines, given before deployment, were contaminated but I would have thought the DOD would have checked for that, considering what happened before. They have remained silent on this and the doc who holds the patent on this strain of mycoplasma has ties to the DOD. We will likely never get the whole story.

If anyone wants to learn more, look up GWI and/or Dr. Garth Nicolson (note the spelling of his name). He was a huge help to me when I turned up with a mycoplasma infection which triggered my CFIDS/ME full blown. As some of y'all know, I was living next to a military base when I got sick. I likely got the infection out in the holiday shopping crowds from a soldier with an active infection.

If the military is researching GWI, it might help find some answers to what ails us. It's a step forward that they have gone from denying that GWI existed to admitting vets are coming home with it and trying to find answers. From my perspective, there is no difference between GWI and CFIDS/ME other than what may have triggered these illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't want us to be a country of a culture of war. It isn't just the cost of the war itself and nation building afterward, it's the toll in human suffering which is the worst part. Our young come home suffering horrible afflictions. I just hope this new awareness of GWI and FMS will stimulate research which will benefit us in the long haul.

In the meantime, I pray for world peace.

Love, Mikie
  3. jole

jole Member

Vets from the Gulf War and Desert Storm have a terribly high rate (40%) of getting ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). Even the VA is admitting this, and they are getting fairly good care. They don't know yet what causes the horribly high rate...so many injections at once, toxins from the war itself, stress, so many things could be the cause. I also wonder if some of these vets are the ones commiting suicide after coming home....ALS is a horrible death sentence.
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Mikie,
    Most people haven't even heard of GWI. The troops suffer so much. They have the highest rate of suicide of any war we've ever had. People familar with GWI belive it's caused from the depleted uranium munitions their using, and the vaccines their given.

Don't expect the military, who I think are the ones who are causing this, to come up with an accuate answer. Many vaccines that the public are using, like the shingles vaccine, are a live virus vaccine, and these people are contagious for like 48 hrs. So yes, you can pick up all kinds of things beingout in a crowd.

Lifes a challenge anymore!
    Take care,
    kbak
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

This is horrific, about the GWI, mycoplasma, ALS. I didn't know about the higher incidence of ALS among GW vets. I just looked at an article which talked about exposure to toxins and possibly certain bacteria which create neurotoxins, as contributing factors. It's pretty interesting: http://www.91outcomes.com/2010/06/study-gulf-war-chemicals-cause-mood.html#!/2010/06/study-gulf-war-chemicals-cause-mood.html

I tihnk another factor contributing to the high rate of suicides is the numerous deployments so many soldiers had. I know with Vietnam, you had your one year and that was it, unless you wanted to go back. But not so with these gulf wars.

Also, I think it's quite possible that SSRIs are another contributing factor in the rise in suicides. These drugs were not available of any of our other wars, but I am sure it's the probably first line of treatment given to any vet. There's a black box warning on these drugs for a reason.

I don't have much hope for the military owning up to what is going on with these vets. Look at agent orange, responsible for so much damage to health, and denied so strenuously for so long by the DOD.

It's not surprising that the politicians who generally are most eager to go to war are the ones who have never been themselves.

Mary

Mary
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Mikie - do you know if colloidal silver is effective against mycoplasma?

Mary
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate the interest and info. I believe that GWI, like CFIDS/ME may be triggered by any number of toxins, stress, infections, etc.

Mary, while colloidal silver is an excellent product, I do not believe it, by itself, is sufficient to rid the body of mycoplasmas. Dr. Garth Nicolson found that someone infected with mycoplasmas needs, at least, six months on doxycycline and then, the patient can start trying to pulse off of them. If symptoms return, the patient is to go back on the Doxy for six more weeks and try again. It took me 2 1/2 yrs. total to drive my infection into latency.

The refrain of the old folk song keeps playing in my mind..."When will they ever learn; when will they ever learn. Then answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind; the answer is blowin' in the wind."

Love, Mikie