Review from SSD did u get one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurtsalot 2, Jul 11, 2011.

1. hurtsalot 2

hurtsalot 2 New Member

Last week I sent in my 1st review letter I received. I have been on SSD for 8 years. Does anyone know how long this process last? Do they call or notify you by mail when they are done? Also, how often do they do this? Does age make a difference, I will be 60 in a couple of months. My conditions have not changed though I wish they had. I cannot see myself trying to go to work when I get up each morning feeling like a truck ran over me. All answers are greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful blessed day. xoxo hurtsalot2
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I got my first review letter from SS last year when I was 59 - I had been on SSDI for 7 years. I sent in their form and 4 to 6 weeks letter received a letter from SS saying they were not going to review my case at this time. I would bet the same will happen to you.

If they think recovery is unlikely, they only do the review every 7 years. And age does make a difference too. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

This is from the SS website:

How often will my medical condition be reviewed?
    The frequency of reviews depends on the nature and severity of your medical condition and whether it is expected to improve.

•If improvement is expected, your first review generally will be six to 18 months after the date you became disabled.

•If improvement is possible, but cannot
    be predicted, your case will be reviewed about once every three years.

•If improvement is not expected, your case will be reviewed once every
    seven years.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The chances are slim that they will do a full review. They are so short handed now that they can't get their work done. They just have to show they are trying to stay on top of things. The older one gets, the less chance they will do a full review.

Love, Mikie
  4. hurtsalot 2

hurtsalot 2 New Member

Mary, you were right. I received a letter from them about 6 weeks later saying they were not going to review me at this time. Do you think you will get another one in 7 years? Do you think your ssd will change to ss when you become 65 or 66? I wonder if we will receive a better check when it changes to ss. I worked 32 years of my life and if I had not become disabled at the age of 50 my benefit for ss would have been more than I am receiving.

I would like to thank all of you who replied to my post. Take care, sincerely, hurtsalot 2
  5. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

I've been on SSDI since 2007. I didn't get the 18 month review or the 3-4 year review. I guess that means they think I won't improve. Works fine for me...because that's pretty much true...I keep getting worse!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

While I was on SSD, I worked part time under the Ticket To Work program for 2 1/2 years. SSD gave me no grief about it. A year ago, I had to quit due to exhaustion which turned out to be Sjogren's.

One thing I think figures into this is what the judge wrote about the hearing. The judge I had wrote a very positive rationale for granting my SSD. Perhaps it's because I hired a fantastic atty. with a repuation of being a Pit Bull. If any judge didn't approve an applicant, this atty. always filed appeals. This is well known among the SSD judges. No judge wants his decision too be overturned on appeal.

Also, my docs all really came through for me, filling out my atty.'s questionnaires, showing that my illnesses kept me from being able to work. I think that trying to work seven years after my disability date was another positive in my favor. I worked 12 to 20 hrs. per week but never made more than the monthly cutoff.

I have to admit it is a huge relief to finally be on regular SS even though I'm too sick again to be able to work at all. Dealing with SSD is hugely stressful and only makes us sicker.

Love, Mikie
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I believe it automatically changes to ss when you reach 65 - that's what happened to Mikie. I think the amount remains the same, although Mikie can answer that better than me, or you can check out hte ss website.

I think they factor in the fact that you can't work when they figure out the amount of ss disability, and, am not sure, but believe that the disability amount is what they calculate you would have received from ss if you kept working. I don't know where I got this idea and it could be wrong, would take more research.

I am glad you got your letter! It is a relief -

8. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I recently went through the return to work process and asked the same question. I was told that if I was unable to return to work before retirement age, my retirement benefit would remain the same as my SSDI benefit at the time.
    Also, the counselor (who was very compassionate and helpful) told me that what works for MOST people who are trying to return to work but unable to return to FT gainful employment is to work PT and keep monthly earnings below $1,000/month. By staying under $1,000/month, your trial work periods are not affected (you are allowed 3/year I think), and you can earn enough to help make ends meet w/o the worry of losing your SSDI and having to deal with all it entails. It sounds like a win-win situation which would build confidence and help establish what one is capable of doing for more than 3 months at a time (as is the case with the trial work period-of 3 month increments-where anything over the $1,000/month limit counts against your benefit).

The trick for me has been to rein myself in and take it slowly; it's been one step forward, two steps back whenever I've tried to return to work. The counselor said he sees that a lot, but to keep trying. I've found that being able to set my own schedule works best for me. Most recently I've been doing caregiving for elderly/disabled which isn't my dream job, but it feels really good to get a paycheck, and helps others too.

As is the case with almost anything, the hardest part is getting started.
    Good luck everyone!