Rh blood type sick after having baby with blood type

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hootie1, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I just can't help but wonder whether I got sick because I have Rh- blood type - and my son had a different blood type. My husband is A+. I just can't help but think that given my very high exposure to bacterial and viral infections that with this introduction of positive blood into my system that it didn't awaken all of my past dorment infections.

However, I have tried to treat both viral and bacterial and was not successful. I just wonder if it isn't that we have a sort of blood disorder that would need to be filtered, so to speak.

Ok, so someone who doesn't have a child- how did they get it... or what triggered this in them? For me, I have not doubt that I became sick after giving birth... no doubt... it took a few years to go into full blown sickness, but it happened.

Or maybe this is just a long term effect of past infections and time has caused them to come out or stress or an accident of some sort.

I was just thinking about it tonight and thought that I would put my thoughts into words. :)
  2. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

I am Rh negative. In 1975 I recieved a Rhogam injection which is used to keep you from developing antibodies to Rh postive blood after pregnancy. In the past they would just give the woman a Rhogam injection if she had RH negative blood after pregnancy or miscarriage.

Anyway within a week of recieving the Rhogam injection all my lymph nodes swelled up and stayed that way. Then I started to develop ringing in my ears and pressure hives and I couldn't run anymore without getting out of breath.

I felt pretty good inspite of these things but you can see that these things aren't normal and I didn't have them previous to the injection.

Then came my big crash in the winter of 1986 after the flu.

My point is this I have no doubt that the Rhogam injection was contaminated with only God knows what kind of bacteria or virus. Rhogam is made from a human blood product.

I am on the Marshall Protocol and it is working slowly to get rid of the pea soup of pathogens I have gathered over the years. It took me years to get sick and it is going to take years to recover. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm feeling better and better all the time.

I can totally relate to your story.

Take care

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am RH Neg. and had a miscarriage before the Rhogam was available. That sensitized my system. Both daughters were jaundiced and the second one had to be transfused at birth. The docs told me that any more children would likely have to be transfused in the womb prior to birth. I decided then on a tubal ligation. My second child weighed a pound less than her sister and had a lot of problems when she was a baby.

I think this may be a contributing factor for some of us but I don't think it's the cause. It may trigger our illnesses but I believe there are many triggering events. I do think we are genetically predisposed to our illnesses. In hindsight, I can look clear back into my childhood and see omens of things to come. I survived many potential triggering events only to finally succumb to the mycoplasma infection which triggered my illnesses full blown.

I donated my plasma for Rhogam vaccines but would not agree to let them resensitize me with Pos. blood products from donors when my titres reduced. That was in CO. The place where they do it here is the same place where others sell their plasma. They are the great unwashed and, even though the clinic is supposed to screen them for diseases, like hepatitis, I don't trust being in the same environment with them. They are often homeless and extremely dirty and have the appearance of being users of drugs or alcohol. They all smoke just outside the entrance. It's just not an inviting place. It's not that I'm uncaring for their lot in life, but I do not wish to place my own life and health in jeopardy.

Love, Mikie

Love, Mikie
  4. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

That makes sense- you are probably right that it was probably one trigger.

I don't blame you for not putting yourself in jeopardy- I wouldn't either.

You know, we try so hard to be healthy and then there are some that smoke, do drugs, etc. Hey, that's fine that they do it, but I wouldn't want anything to do with it either.

5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

bank- thanks for your story- how interesting!!

I only got the shot after my miscarriage in 1983 and don't remember when during my pregnancy truthfully. I had a miscarriage in 1997 but never got a shot or even a d&c. I think it was because I was so early into the pregnancy that it was almost like having a period.

I didn't know that those shots came from humans. I never asked questions back then because I was healthy.

I am editing to add this:

I never really knew the name of that shot until now so I just googled it and found this:

RhoGAM with thimerosal
    RhoGAM produced prior to April of 2001 contained
    thimerosal, which added potential risks for the
    patient. According to the American Academy of
    Pediatrics' September 1999 policy statement,
    ethylmercury (a component in thimerosal) has been
    associated with neurotoxicity when taken in high doses.
    Developing fetuses are particularly sensitive to
    mercury. The neurotoxicity of mercury has the potential
    to affect the development of a child's nervous system.

RhoGAM side effects

The RhoGAM treatment that has been produced since April of 2001 can be administered with very little risk to the patient and the fetus. The patient should be aware, nevertheless, that RhoGAM can cause:

Local inflammation (swelling, redness, and induration) at the injection site Slight fever Viral infection (Because RhoGAM is made from human plasma, there is a potential for the patient to develop a viral infection. However, the occurrence of infection is miniscule because of the intense screening of the plasma.) The treatment may also be ineffective; the patient may produce antibodies despite receiving the shot. The incidence of RhoGAM side effects is about one in 60,000 doses.

[This Message was Edited on 09/11/2008]
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey do you think they give/gave rhogam when a pregnancy is voluntarily terminated to rh negative?
  7. kyra07

kyra07 New Member

I have been wondering this myself, but in a slightly different case...

My mother has type O (not the universal! they didn't know that until I was born, being the second child), I am type B.

My mother was sick as a dog when she was pregnant with my older sibling: my sibling was normal weight but has autoimmune disorders. The doctor's didn't suspect that she is a rare type O yet. My mom felt fine when she was pregnant with me. I was born early and at a mere 4 pounds or so and very ill: Type B blood and antibodies attacking my type B blood cells. Pretty much what happens with the RH- issue. I have had health issues since.

My mother has Fibro. I have Fibro. We both have other autoimmune related issues and viral/bacterial issues that fight treatment. I think this was a trigger (0ne of several triggers) for us both. And a trigger that set off my siblings autoimmune illnesses. Doctors think I'm nuts, but I keep bringing it up to them hoping that maybe it will spark something, anything...that will help figure this thing out.

Thanks for posting this, I'm not nuts (LOL). Maybe a doctor will read this and do some research in the matter.

[This Message was Edited on 09/12/2008]