rheumatic fever a factor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LorJean, Oct 18, 2005.

1. LorJean

LorJean New Member

I was diagnosed with CFS/FMS in the late 1980's. For more than ten years I was incapcitated; eventually many of the symptoms became controlable except the fatigue. I still have a very limited amount of energy. Recently I had an EKG which revealed thickening of my left ventricle (hypertrophy) - I knew I had a murmur but did not know about this. When I was 10 yrs old I had scarlet fever which went into a very serious bout with rheumatic fever. My pediatrician told my parents that the murmur was a result of this disease but he never told them that it had damaged my heart valve.

Now I'm wondering if it has been this damage to my heart that has caused this extreme fatigue all my life (I'm now 50). Has anyone else had a similar history?
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

No but I sure hope your heart is OK! take Care Lynn
  3. LorJean

LorJean New Member

Hello,

Thank you for responding. Please tell me about yourself, it would be so good to know what we have in common. I've never really believed that CFS and FMS have been what has caused me to feel the way I do but accepted it because that's the only answer I could get. I've always thought there was a bigger picture involved with how I feel. I've recently learned from my mother that I actually had rheumatic fever - I've always mistakenly thought that it was "just" scarlet fever. I'm now seeking a good cardiologist to see if this all makes sense.

I'd like to hear from you,

Lori
  4. LorJean

LorJean New Member

Thank you Lynn for your response - anyone of us on this message board has a story to tell. What is your story?

Lori
  5. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I was born with a heart murmor (sp?), I grew out of it at some point. I was diagnosed with rheumatic fever at around 17. I am now 42. I don't know if it relates to my FMS. My Grandmother who passed away a few years ago (in her 80s) was diagnosed by Dr. St. Amand with fibro. I don't believe she ever had rheumatic fever.

So far my heart has been OK. As a matter of fact, after I was diagnosed and treated for rheumatic fever, I still had severe pains. My Mom took me to Children's Hospital in Los Angeles, and they questioned whether I had rheumatic fever at all. It was quite some time since I had been originally treated, so I'm not sure in the 80's how much they really had to go by. One thing I know for sure is that I defintely have FMS.