Rheumatic fever as a child

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, May 28, 2008.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I had this as a child and then I see the following quote and wonder if this has anything to do with my fibro today? Has anyone else had rheumatic fever?

"The exact cause of rheumatic fever isn't clear. Medical research has focused on an abnormal immune system response to the antigens produced by specific types of streptococcal bacteria. In addition, researchers are studying whether some people have a greater genetic disposition for an abnormal immune system response to streptococcal antigens."

2. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I have wondered that myself as I had it as a child also. Did your mom ever tell you not to ever tell your Dr. or you wouldn't get accepted for health insurance? Mine did but I never checked it out to see if that were true or not. P
  3. sadie101

sadie101 New Member

I was told I had rheumatic fever a year ago by a doctor, he said I had to have injections of penicilin ever three weeks for five years. I did the injections for about five months. anyhow I went to see another rheumy and he said there is no way I had rheumatic fever. my illness all started from Hep B vaccinations for my job and know doctor would believe my vaccines made me sick.

the doctor I shall a year ago still's say rheumatic fever but the other doctor say no. I still have a high strep count and c-reactive protein.

I was just wonder what kind of symptoms you have today and if you remember what symptoms you had as a child?

thank you very much and take care

4. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I had rheumatic fever when I was about 17. I spent a month in a dark room taking mega amounts of antibiotics. I know it starts from strep. I had strep 9 times that year. I have never had it again.

I have always wondered if there is some relationship to the rheumatic fever to my Fibro.

The thing that confuses me is that my Grandmother also had fibro and we both were/are double-jointed.
  5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

No I don't remember. Why do you ask?
  6. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I don't remember either because I was very young and my mother can't remember either. I was a very sick kid. I had asthma and was in and out of the hospital alot with pneumonia, bloody nose and asthma attacks. I almost died twice because my pneumonia was so bad. I think I was tore up all the way from birth. P
  7. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

of rheumatic fever for me. I had low grade temps for a long time and was bent over the MD knee once a week for a shot of penicillin in the behind. Not fun for a kid. My memory could be faulty but I believe that was treatment for rheu fever.

A doctor lived across the street and one day was speaking to my mother and she called me over. Standing on the sidewalk he said to open my mouth and said: that child needs her tonsils out.

Tonsils and adenoids were removed and that ended the low grade fever.

So I think what I had was tonsil related.
  8. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

Some Dr.'s say it causes a murmer they can hear when listening to your heart.

I think it is an important step in FM and CFS. it seems that I have lots of issues with weird immune system responses.
  9. hi all,

when i was pregenant with my first child in 1983,my blood sample showed that i had rheumatic fever.

sadly,its likely that my daughter has it too,but i dont tell her.i dont want to worry her.

love fran
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had Rheumatic Fever at age 14. It caused my large joints to swell up and start painfully dislocating. It started from a combo of strep throat, tonsilitis and mononucleosus.

I had penicillin injections once a month until it was warm enough to take my tonsils and adenoids out. (way back then, they would not take them out in winter).

I eventually had to have surgery on both knees to stop the dislocations. I also have hypermobile joints, which is a proven predisposer to getting FMS. I am not by any means saying that hypermobile joints cause FMS, only that it makes it more likely, from what I've read. My best friend is totally double jointed and does not have FMS.

11. hi all,

my daughter and son are double jointed too,and my son gets the jaw problems that i got,before i started pumpkin seeds.

my son wont eat the seeds,but drank the juice,when hot water was poured on the seeds,and they were left to soak for 20 mins.

however after day five,he said he couldnt sleep,had a terrible high fever,and felt sick.

so he said..im stopping pumpkin juice,and dont argue,i feel ill.

me on the other hand,i stick it out.

love fran
  12. bichonmom

bichonmom New Member

I had Rheumatic Fever when I was 10 and spent a year in bed. Only trips to the doctor for blood tests and up to the bathroom. Lots of anitbiotics. They tell me I don't have a heart murmur now as an adult (55 years old) but I do believe it has something to do with Fibromyalgia. I never regained my health after having Rheumatic Fever.