Rheumatoid Arthritis...question re. medication...

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by bhager, Apr 11, 2003.

1. bhager

bhager New Member

I need help...

Has anyone used the drug: Methotrexate?

I'm about to start on that drug...I have some hesitation and would, therefore, like to hear from someone who has had the same experiences with good or bad results from that drug...

Appreciate hearing...bob@bob123.net

Marlene...

2. 3369

3369 New Member

MARLENE - I used Methotrexate for approximately one year. I did not notice that it helped, I was too worried about my hair falling out (isn't that vain). I also noticed that I felt nauseated at first and just not very well. I'm sorry I can't tell you anything positive about Methotrexate, but then I believe that it affects people differently. Good Luck.

DEB
  3. ConnorsMyAngel

ConnorsMyAngel New Member

I spoke to my Doctor about Methotrexate. It is widely used and can have some good results for some people. I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. He says he would rather try Enbrel or a brand new disease modifying drug called Humira. He wants to use them sparingly 3 to 6 month trial. All of these drugs can have side effects and they do not know what the long term side effects are. I hear Enbrel works the best and the fastest, but everyone could respond different. These drugs are expensive and many insurance companys do not cover them. I am trying the antibiotic minocin. You can take that with the disease modifying drug, it could help the process.. Answering your question, i do not recomend Methotrexate. I am 31 and have just one child. I do not know because of this illness if i can have other children, but if you are within child bareing years this can cause serious birth defects, and can decrease your chances for every becomming pregnant. A Doctor by law and because of moral issues can not give out this drug if you can not prove that you are taking Birth Control or have an IUD device. You will have to have your liver and bone marrow functions checked periodically for damage. Most side effects are flu like symptoms, or mouth sores. I just do not like the idea of this particular drug no matter what the doctors try to convince you of. Good luck to you.
  4. kiwi2

kiwi2 New Member

I have been on Methotrexate for many years now. It has helped me so much . I was unable to walk or do much of anything till I started this medication. So far I have not had any liver damage. This seems to be one of the main risk factors but regular blood work keeps it in control. Feel free to E_Mail me with any questions.
    good luck
    kiwi2
  5. bhager

bhager New Member

I*'d like to reply directly to kiwi2...at her suggestion - but I don't have her email address...how do I do this...

thanks,

Marlene
  6. danisue22

danisue22 New Member

Hi Marlene. In regards to your E.Mail question Click on her name and that will take you to her Profile you just might find her E.Mail there. Good luck. Danisue. P.S. I've also used methotrexate for years it has worked great for me.My E.Mail is in my profile if you can't find Kiwi's you could E.Mail me.I'd be happy to talk with you.
  7. ladyrebel08

ladyrebel08 New Member

I have used Methotrexate for about 5 months. I can't say that I have seen a big change. I am accually 15 years old and I am just learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have a hard time at school some and seem tired all the time. But about the medicine...I have heard some people say that it does wonders but in my case I can't tell a difference. One thing that really helped me is Cortisone in the irritated areas. I had the shots in both of my knees and they really seemed to help all over for a while. E-mail me at--ladyrebel08@hotmail.com