RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Lately my hands have been throbbing. The pain is severe in both hands, fingers, wrists. Also, my hands are getting deformed. Some of my fingers are bent and I can't straighten them.

I was wondering if this is common in FMS and CFIDS or might I be showing symptoms of RA. If anyone has RA, please let me know what your symptoms are.

Thanks,

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2006]
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

I am no doctor, but this sure sounds like some form of arthritis to me. Especially if it is bending your fingers.

Kriket
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

It should be checked. The easier you start on treatment for RA or any arthritis.....the less severe it can get.
  4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Lolalee:

There is a lot of good info on the Arthritis message board. From what I have learned about RA (which I have had for 10+ years) is that it typically develops in the same joints on both sides of your body. If you have pain in both hands, both wrists, you might want to see a rheumatologist.

Your PCP may be able to order blood tests to find out if you have an active flare. If you are already seeing deformity, I would not waste anytime...as there are meds that can slow down, and even stop the terrible destruction of your joints.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Do you have any fever, or night sweats, or any other changes to your normal symptoms? Do you take any anti-inflammatories (like advil)? If so, do they make your pain and swelling less? Best thing is to see a doctor familiar with RA as well as Osteo arthritis (which is typically damage to one joint at a time, and can be on one side of your body).

Ingrid
  5. baanders

baanders New Member

We've talked before and you seem like such a nice person. It's so sad that you have to go through this. My prayers are with you.

baanders
  6. blueangel1957

blueangel1957 New Member

Lolalee I also have RA my right hand is throbbing and my fingers I can't hardly straighten them.My family dr.started me back on Methotrexate I have to take 3 a wk.it is for RA he told me if I did not get back on it my hands were going to be deformed.He also gave me a shot of cortisone.I know what you are going thru with sweetie and I feel for you.Are you on any medicine for it...if not please go to your family dr.or a rheumatology which mine did nothing for me so I am just seeing my family dr.I also have fibromyalgia chronic fatigue,Please keep in touch and I will say a prayer for you. Rita aka blueangel1957
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

All of you are so very kind to take the time to respond to me. I am going to have my doctor check to see if I really have RA. I have FMS, CFIDS and OA. I've been sick for so long that I think that most times I attribute everything to FMS and CFIDS. That can be dangerous because we can easily miss something that can be treated (ie., RA) and we just suffer along day in and day out thinking that it is just another symptom of FMS or CFIDS.

Thanks for all your wonderful advice. You are truly a compassionate group and I'm glad I found you all.

Blessings,

Lolalee
    +