Rheumatoid factor high?!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justdifferent, Jan 15, 2009.

1. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I just got my labs back. Out of all standard labs ordered (short of cortisol levels and viral studies) my rheumatoid factor is high. The normal is 1-20; mine is 80. I don't have the labs in front of me, but has anyone else had a number like this?
  2. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

Yes, it's normal to get numbers this high.

Take care... :)
  3. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I have some very mild osteoarthritis that only affects me in very cold weather and is confined to my left thumb and both hips. I am 40.

I do not have any other signs of arthritis, though I live in a fairly warm and dry winter climate and do notice a dramatic worsening of joint pain in damp cold.

I am in the middle of a flare of what I believe to be CFS/ME based upon past history and testing, but have not gotten a positive RF before. However, it's been years since I was tested. I have severe fatigue and disturbed sleep as well as brain fog -- this is bothering me more than pain.

It's more than a month until the next new rheumatologist appointment. I did visit the arthritis board, and can pursue things like MSM, but joint pain isn't what's doing me in *right now*.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/15/2009]
  4. daylight

daylight New Member

I have Fm and RA. Sometime is can be hard to till fm pain from RA pain. But if your RF is that high.
    I wouldn't rule out RA. RA joint damage can happen fast even without pain. I'd be very surprise if your rheumy didn't dx. you with it. If you have a high ANA , ESR,and C3 and C4 components your a shoe in for the RA dx.'s . How ever I hope it isn't . RA is a horrible monster .

5. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I believe the doctor ordered ANA and ESR and they would have been within normal since the nurse said all else was normal. As I said, though, I haven't seen the labs. I am asking that they be sent to me.

No C3/C4 testing was done.

I don't have a rheumatologist yet; these tests were ordered by my internist.
  6. daylight

daylight New Member

This happened to me . They didn't run the test on me until the joint damage was very bad.My Gp ordered the Ana testing first . Then I was sent to a Neurologist for the parapalgia after that the Rhuemy. . Who ran the test for inflammation (ESR , C 3 and C4,CCP) because my ANA was extremely high. My RF was negative CCP was postive and esr ,c3 and c4 were very high. Your on the right track . Autoimmune disease is hard to diagnose and can take years. Mainly because doctors (some) feel that women are mental. I my opinion. I have had RA for probably since the age of 13 but no one knows for sure when it started but it's bad. Also some times nurses don't forget to call you thinking that the doctor well followup .I found this out the hard way. Here is a link on RF and auto immune diseases http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/rheumatoid/test.html

I hope you find answers soon.
  7. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I was tested first thing for sed rate and ANA and both came back normal, but the pain I experience from my FM started in and is mostly in my joints. I've always found it strange. I knew someone who was tested for RA and Lupus and her tests kept coming out negative and then a few years later they started coming up positive. I'm wondering if that means you could be having mild damage from the disease before it shows up in the tests? I'll check out the board to see if I can get any info there.

Just curious,

8. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I have the results in front of me, and there's no ANA or ESR abnormalities. ANA negative, ESR is 14 mm/Hr with normal 0-20. Serum electrophoresis values all within normal. Slightly anaemic (4.14 with normals 4.2-5.4).

But RF is 80 and was verified.
  9. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

Thank you for remembering about my daughter! She is up and down; some days good, some bad. It is very hard to share custody because neither parent can follow her every day. :-(

That said, I think that we all need to accept that I am not lazy; I am sick; and I really, really need my rest. Trying to do the single parent/full time worker act on a handful of broken hours of sleep will not work.

My internist does not know that I have an appointment with Dr L. I see no reason to tell him yet. My internist made me really angry today, because he refused to get me an earlier appointment with a rheumatologist to run the conventional testing for RA, do x-rays, etc on the basis that I had already been fatigued for many years, so what's urgent? grrrrrr

I have appointments with two different rheumatologists, also not until March. One has gone to bat for patients with FM; the other is highly regarded. We'll see. I just don't know what to do until March.

My sleep cycle has now completely inverted which is what it would so like to do all the time - 12 hours of sleep during the day, 12 awake at night. However, this can't last because I've got to go back to work. My mother mentioned that her own RA has come back inexplicably high; she has FM. I don't have any of the symptoms that seem to typify the autoimmune diseases like RA or Sjogren's - no dry eyes/hair loss/dry skin/rashes etc. I haven't been tested for some of the viruses but was CMV-negative nine years ago and have definite issues with EBV.

I have to try to go to bed now. I've been pounding myself with sleep-inducing medicines to no avail for the last couple of nights. Hopefully I'll get to bed earlier tonight.
  10. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I also have some osteo. You mentioned your thumb. Which joint is affected? Is it the bottom or the middle?

I also have hip issues as well as back and neck. They've just done an MRI and Xray so I'm waiting for the results.

I've wondered about RA in the past....
  11. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

the joints in my left thumb are affected. I use my *right* thumb on the keyboard to space, so this makes no sense to me!

I was able to beg and plead to someone with authority and am now scheduled to see a rheumatologist on Friday. :) YEAH! I am a tremendous fighter and that's what has seen me through rough patches in my life. For the most part, I have excellent doctors. I am back at work and really have to be here or lose the job and the insurance, so I'm hoping that this good-enough feeling lasts until I get back some findings from the rheumatologist.

Thought I would post my bit of good news - yesterday was an awful day on several fronts, but this one small "break" completely reversed my mood to a more hopeful one.