Rheumatoid factor nothing to do with RA?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Feb 15, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Reading posts here, and a question arose for me. My old MD said I had RA, although all he had was my achy osteo bones and the RA factor and some nodules that comes from OA, not RA. Did any of you have a positive RA factor due to inflammation- not Rheumatoid related? I think some MD's can misdiagnose easily because of that factor. I was put on RA meds, got more sick, more flue like feeling. After 6 months I stopped taking my meds since I never improved, but only felt more flue-ish. Got more energy, and no more aches in my joints than normal. I am sure I don't have RA since I never had any joint swelling. My constant feeling of having a flue points to something else. New doc. checked for Lyme and B12, both negative. Other values seem normal. Are there any labs that tend to be abnormal in chronic fatigue? Any input would be appreciated!
  2. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

The whole thing confuses me too. I have FM and my blood work indicated that I have a high RA factor. Then sent to a Rheumy. She said nothing about the RA factor. I know that 80% of people with a high RA factor also have Rheumatoid arthritis. But I don't really feel that I have arthritis at all. And the Rheumy made no mention of it, at all.

Anyone have any answers??
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    Boy, what timing! I'm going tomorrow for the results of the bloodwork my Rheumy did. I went to him for a high RA factor, thinking I had Rheumatoid Arthritis, and knowing that early treatment is good.

I don't think I have it, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. He did all kinds of bloodwork (7 vials) and is testiing me for all kinds of things, like Lime, Hepitatis A, B, C, and D. I had these tests before, but that was almost 13 years ago.

Hope someone else has some answers.
    Terry
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I posted this question dated 1/9/06, titled "Testing of RNase and FFC Question", if you want to read everyones comments. But this was my statement, and question.

Testing of RNase and FFC question, dated 1/9/06.
    I have read that "Observation of an elevated 37/80 kDa RNase L ratio is a quantitative measure that correlates well with the severity of CFS symptoms and with low natural killer (NK) cell function." Why doesn't the FDA or CDC or whomever that governing body would be, make this a diagnostic marker for CFIDS? It seems that depressed levels are indicated in HIV-1 and elevated levels are indicated in CFIDS. Is this test reliable across the board? Would anybody who knows their levels be willing to state your results?

Mine were 20. Range 1-10. for RNase

8.7 Range 20-50 for NK Cells

Many other responded if you want to refer to my original post.
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Now I'm even more convinced it might be CFS. My RA factor was 278 the first time around, and with all those RA meds 258. Not big results in other words. But constant feeling of flu, wether I'm on the meds or not. But much more low grade fevers while on the meds. I am going to ask my new doc about the diagnosis. He questioned my non- exsistent swollen joints also. I have more symptoms of CFS, but I am unsure wether he believes in CFS.
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Is RNase the same thing as RA titer? Sorry about my ignorance, it apperas they are not the same, am I wrong?
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

for more replies
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

is not the only indicator for RA. RA factor can be high with other diseases and absent with RA. It is flaky. The best way to tell RA is from Sed Rate and physical findings combined. I sometimes show RA and sometimes not.

Hope this helps. Have them run a sed rate. It should be under 35 or 30 I think. MCD NEEDED HERE OUR RESIDENT PHLEBOTOMIST-try posting direct to MCD (forget rest of name) and ask.

Love Anne C
  9. fibromeems

fibromeems New Member

Lenasvn
    I have had FMS and OA for many years. I was recently (50 yrs old) dx by a rheumy with seronegative ra. Which means that my ra factor was negative, however I had an elevated sed rate and c-reactive protein. I also have morning stiffness in my hands and feet. Not to mention the pain from inflammation is horrible at times. The fatigue from this is worse than I ever had experienced with FMS for the past 18 yrs. I feel flu-ish a lot of the time too.
    I read somewhere that with this negative factor ra, the body thinks it is positive and therefore attacks itself as in any autoimmune disease. In my case, I have testing every 3 months and am putting off meds until I absolutely cannot stand it anymore. I am afraid of the meds and all the side effects.
    I found watercise last year kept me pain free but the water has to be pretty warm.

Best wishes to you --

10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thanks for the replies, I had normal sed rate and c-reactive protein both times I was checked, including the tewsts that old doc. used for diagnosis. I don't know if I have it, the joint pain and stiffness comes from years of working too hard and too much plus a sweet family history of it, my fatigue- who knows where it comes from? I don't know if I really have RA, it seems so odd to me. I love the replies I'm getting. I might have RA, but one without joint swelling, just inflammation (rare). I don't believe the diagnosis until I've had more done, like x-rays of hands and feet, knees, hip, spine. It will then show the difference between RA and OA. fibromeems, if it's RA I have, the fatigue would be the thing for me too, that is what gets me more than the bone- aches right now.
  11. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Well, I got my test results and my Rheumy said I have RA. He put together all the evidence and came to that conclusion. the "holes" in my knuckle joints are bone deterioration due to RA.

What I don't understand, is that my knuckles are one of the few parts of my body that never hurt, or swell. How can I have RA advanced enough to cause significant bone deterioration and not have pain there?

Any one know???

Thanks,
    Terry
  12. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I wanted to say "hi" and hope you feel better soon! I have been looking for you last few days.

I have osteoarthritis very badly....and it is SO painful....the burning, aching pain is so bad at times....nothing helps and can't stand to touch the part that hurts!!

I was told that I don't have RA.
    I hope that you can get an answer soon. I know how frustrating it can be not knowing.

I am still waiting to see doc about my back surgery. I will go soon.

Wishing you a better night. I hope to see you around here tomorrow.

Love....mari

13. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I am getting old and my hands are getting twisted, at fingers... But, it has just been in the last few years... For a long time before that, they were weak.. I couldn't open a window, or a jar. It hurt my hand to lift something, with just my hand........ I had trouble writing for long time , and my handwriting was diff., after awhile. I use to think ,I had a fairly nice handwriting. Now, it sure is nothing to brag about. Just the fact I can still write , is good, very good, and I am thankful.
  14. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

So good to hear from you both! I have been roaming around in other places to find answers to my stuff and have spent less time here on Arthritissupport.com. Mari, why are you having back surgery? I am sorry if I missed something, let me know when you have a chance. I think the answers are fairly easy to find once you find a doc. who is willing to find them with you.
    sara anne, I have painful hands, but arms too, it is more like a neuro logical pain with extreme burning, like acid fire. I believe my pain/ weakness comes from deterioration of my cervical spine. i am yet to find a doc. who is willing to take the very first look at my bones after all those years. What is going on with the system?

I am so glad to hear from both of you!

many hugs and blessings!
  15. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Yes, my hands are weak and painful, because of the arthritis. This year I was not able to write Christmas cards.

Sometimes my hands are weak because fo CFIDS, and when that happens, I'm too tired to write my name. I'ts really embarrassing at the supermarket, when I have to rest for a while, and then take a deep breath, as I try to write my name. LOL!

Take care.
    Terry
  16. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I know what you mean, I am having more and more trouble filling out a check.... Sometimes, I worry that it might not go through, because it doesn't look like my Sig., wonder then ,if they even check, when it does. I live in a small town and some of them know me, my neice works there too, maybe they know I having trouble?