Rheumatologist or Neurologist for FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dixie_Amazon, Feb 24, 2007.

  1. Dixie_Amazon

    Dixie_Amazon Member

    Which do you see? I am kinda confused by which is more appropriate for FM.
  2. monicaz49

    monicaz49 New Member

    they diagnosed me with cfs...although...i had to refer myself...it wasnt suggested by my doc. And when i saw the rheumi she didnt mention cfs till i did. lol
  3. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member


    I would go to both (and have).

    Rhematologists are a way many of us have gone.
    So far I have been pretty lucky, but truthfullly, you really have to 'watch out' for yourself.

    My experience have been that to be pro-active is the best way to go.

  4. suzetal

    suzetal New Member

    I used to have a rheumy but we did not hit it off.

    I also have an orthopedic doctor.I have broken a few bones since my osteoporosis.He gets all the reports from all my test so that when I see him hes up on everything.I make sure that all my doctors stay in the loop.

    They send out there reports to all my other doctors.Its so nice having doctors who care.

    I think it depends on how they respond to your condition.


  5. StephieBee

    StephieBee New Member

    I agree with nyrofan.

    They both can be beneficial to your treatment.

    I personally have a great Rheumy that specifically specializes in FM here in Boston.

    I have been to a Neuro though also when I was having numbness and tingling. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both extremities but that to the extent that I saw him.

    You may want to see a neuro if you do experience any weird feelings to rule out other possible conditions you may have on top of the FM.

    Just a thought.

  6. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    I've seen neurologists all my life and until I had an appointment with a rheumatologist I was never given an answer for the pain. He discovered that I had Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hypermobility type) which has a strong association with fibromyalgia.

    Oddly enough my older sister was diagnosed the same week by a podiatrist of all things. I'm in my 50s and she's in her 60s and no one had ever looked for the cause of our dislocated joints and muscle pain.

  7. Mini4Me

    Mini4Me New Member

    I'm not sure if either is better. I think most of us with FM would benefit from any doc that understands Fibro and is willing to treat pain properly. Sometimes it takes a good pain management center and a good doc to treat your symptoms.

    Currently, I have a physiatrist (she specializes in rehabilitation to help patients get some sort of quality of life), a physical therapist, and a psychaiatrist to help me with the depression caused by being in chronic pain and all the losses it causes.

    So, I guess my answer is you'll probably need a team.

    My guess is that eventually FM will be handled by neurologists as more is learned about the condition.
  8. California31

    California31 New Member

    That's my experience...
  9. Dixie_Amazon

    Dixie_Amazon Member

    Thanks for the input!

[ advertisement ]