Rheumatologist referral????????????????????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 28, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

My primary doc, who has seen me only once for a physical, has referred me to see a rheumatologist. This came about after I left an article for her about retesting for Lyme disease. I think she doesn't want to deal with me, but maybe I'm wrong and just being too sensitive.

So. I've heard such horror stories here of rheumatologists' response to FMS. I am worried about this. I suppose I should make the appointment, but I am not sure.

The good news is that my lab results are all negative/normal, including the mammogram I had last week. (well, a very slight elevation of cholesterol and blood sugar, but I think those were anomolies. They've always been fine. Will retest in January, am walking and watching what I eat.)

Any advice or suggestions? Pros or cons?

I await your responses!

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. SolitaryDancer

SolitaryDancer New Member

My Primary Doc diagnosed me with CFS two years ago. He referred me to a Rheumatologist. I could not go until this year. Long story. But anyway I would much rather have a Rheumy look after me than my Primary when it comes to this. My Rheumatologist gave me the diagnosis of Fibro.

Deb
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Have your doctor get information on Rheumatologist who have worked with FMS and work with several patients in your area. They know who work with what or contact the AMA and ask for a list of doc's that do.

Do your search from the phone first it will save you time money and energy. Good luck let us know.
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

My rheummy is great! He is actually one of the first docs, in the 7 years that ive had FM, CFS etc. to sit me down and explain to me that this is a real disease and that it is not just in my head.

He let me tell him what worked for me as far as meds go...then we worked together to come up with a regimine of medicine.

You just have to keep looking to find a good doc. Dont ever give up. You deserve good treatment...nothing but the best. It took me 7 years to find "my" doctor!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

thank you for your replies and encouragement. I'll go ahead and make the appointment, will try to research first, if info is available on the rheumy docs for the group I am with.

Still makes me nervous, though!

I'll let you know what happens.

Peace,
    Beth.
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

I have a choice of three rheumys, chose the only woman doc, who is younger and might be more up on newer stuff. whew. Hope this works out.

I hope she is sympathetic to chronic illness, as she is an Olympic cyclist. We'll see.

wish me luck!

Actually, I've been feeling pretty good lately, hope this doesn't jinx things for me!

hugs,
    Beth.