Rheumatologist vs Pain Management Specialist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybird1, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. ladybird1

    ladybird1 New Member

    I had been seeing a rheumatologist for my fibro, arthritis etc for the past 3 2/12 years. However I went to a pain management specialist recently and he discovered the bulging disk in my neck and seems more willing or current with pain treatments.
    How many go to both rheumatologist and pain management doctors?
  2. rrsbaby

    rrsbaby New Member

    I went to a pain management specialist because I did not want to have surgery on my cervical and lumbar spine. My Orthopedic Surgeon sent me.

    I have Osteo and many bone spurs in both places and a "worn out" disc that I had surgery for three years ago.

    Long story short... all they wanted to do was injections and because I am sooo sensitive to anyone or thing touching my back,(fibro), I would have to have consious sedation to have the injections. Which I was told is a 50/50 chance of working/ and maybe not for very long.

    So I am having the first surgery on my neck in Jan 2006.

    I do also go to a wonderful rhumy, she gives me pain meds, and is very understanding. Which I did not find the Pain Managment Doctor to be.

    Good Luck!

[ advertisement ]