Rheumo says severe nerve damage???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vannafeelbettr, Sep 5, 2008.

1. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I'm so confused. My rheumotologist pressed on the tender points (that are mapped for FM) and I saw stars!!! So painful! Anyhow, he claims... don't worry, these pain symptoms are not in your head.... you have a lot of severe nerve damage in your body. The discs in my back are okay and says it's from other mysterious source. How can that be? Is that what Fibro truly is.... just nerve damage?
    He says he can implant a device in my spine to control the pain. Anyone have similar experience or comments?

2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I would begin searching for more information. Also, what does he mean by "mysterious source"?

I've heard/knew of someone getting something implanted in the body for pain but not in the spine. It must be something different.

I hope you get some answers that you will understand.

Take care,

3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have heard of people having a pain pump implanted and yes it goes on your spine. If you search for "pain pump" on here you should find a few posts about it...I know at least one person on the board had it done.

It's supposed to really help with pain better than oral pills. Because the medication gets distributed right to where it is needed by the pump so you actually use less medication than you would by taking it orally.
  4. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

A friend of my mothers just had a pain pump put in a couple of months ago. She has had FM for many years. She loves it says she has very little pain. Nothing like before. She feels 95% better. She has to charge it nightly so I think it is electroics I do know it was placed on her spine and back. she had neck surgery a couple years ago and said she has no more pain there. But definately look into it before you make any decisions.
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

I feel sure I read something about this on MedPage Today or Science site.

This sounds very interesting...

6. dixiet

dixiet New Member

Your Dr. may be talking about this. It is not a pain pump. This is a device implanted on your spinal cord and uses electrodes to interupt pain signals being sent to the brain.
  7. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I believe you are correct with the type of implant. Rheumo told me I would feel warmth and vibrations from it. I have mixed signals about it. If that would relieve ALL fibro symtoms, I'd say YES!!! But, as we all no, fibro is so much more than just pain :(
  8. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

a while back for some pain and balance issues. During the discussion and testing for those issues, she said that "nerve damage does NOT cause pain"....it causes numbness and loss of sensation.

A pinched nerve can be painful. A bulging disk pressing on the spinal cord can be painful. But that's not nerve damage.

Maybe it's a semantics thing. But according to this doctor, nerves can send pain (or other) signals UNTIL they are damaged and then they just don't work anymore and so there's numbness.

So overactive pain-signals sent by the nerves in cases like chronic back pain wouldn't be classified as nerve damage.

I personally never thought my FM pain was due to nerve damage. Maybe mine is different from other people's, but my pain is more muscular in nature. Knots, spasms etc.

I think I'd try other answers before I agreed to having any kind of device surgically implanted. Especially if he can't explain it to you any better than he has!

Best wishes,