Rheumy appointment was a disappointment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Apr 17, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I saw my rheumy Friday and he was less than helpful. :( I read him my whole list of symptoms I am having. He did not even consider that FM might be a part of the equation!! I told him that my mom has it and my deceased grandmother did, and that I have every symptom that they've ever described. He just shook his head and didn't even do the trigger point exam!

He was pretty sure that I have sacral insufficiency fractures again. :( That explains the terrible low back/hip pain, but not the widespread muscular pain. He put me back on Fossamax for the fractures, and gave me more pain meds and sleep meds (thank God for that at least!!). He said I have bursitis in my right hip and in my neck, but does not want to give me any injections or prednisone because of my brittle bones.

I just dont' think he gets the "whole picture". I am hurting so much more than just my fractures account for (and that's misery enough!!). I go to another orthopedic doc tomorrow to see if there is anything she can suggest for me. I know they specialize in surgery, so I am not too hopeful.

Ah well, thank God for pain meds I guess.

Julie
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Julie,
    I'm sorry for your disappointment. I sugest you keep on trying until you find a Dr. who is educated in Fibro. Most Drs. aren't. It will be worth the effort.
    Good luck,and a big hug,
    Terry
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Just like Terry said...seek another doctors opinion. It is very frustrating...but you are the one in pain.
    It takes awhile sometimes to find the doctor that understands fibro...but keep your chin up....there are more and more people on our side these days!

Love....Mari
  4. Gelsey

Gelsey New Member

I stopped by to ask a different question, but this is exactly what happened to me. The dept actually threw me out and told me never to come back because I didnt have Lupus or RA.
    Well, I went to my primary care doc who said I had fibro or something an awful lot like it. I held out with that info, and joined a support group and started my own research. Today I finally met with a new doc on my HMO plan, who says I do have it, but it is secondary to some other illnesses.
    So hang in there, and continue to look for help!