Rheumy visit... Ouch

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I went to the rheumy today and we concurred that the potassium drop was the problem with my limbs acting on their own.

He did, however, find a "bakers cyst" on my knee and gave me a cortisone shot. He numbed it and stuck the needle in it and all was well and good... until now when the numbing stuff is wearing off.... OUCH.

I asked him why I have the pain and fatigue I do while being on these meds. He told me flat out that a 40-50 percent pain reduction in a person with fibromyalgia is a good thing and that 100 percent relief just isn't out there unless you are so medicated that you can't move.

We have made a good dent in the pain most of the time, but the other side of that coin is.... it doesn't help the fatigue.

I guess I'm looking for a magician. Oh, keep in mind that my rheumy and I have a (sorry, don't know how else to say it), but we have a ball busting attitued with each other. He accuses me of being "too damn stubborn" and I agree! So when I was ready to leave today he said to me, "Slow down on the weight loss for a little while. Okay?" I asked him if he was serious and he said, "yes" because my body isn't really catching up with it right now. I admit that I look drawn and unwell and when I don't feel well, I drop weight fast because I have no appetite at all. So I told him I'll try.... and then he said, "USE A CANE!!!" He has a one track mind.
    Hugs,
    Tigger

2. JLH

JLH New Member

Tigger, nice to hear from you!!!!

I tend to agree with your rheumy .... that we can never expect a 100% reduction in pain! In fact, to have a 50% reduction would be fantastic!! LOL

I also think we might be able to reduce our pain level with meds, but will NEVER be able to help the fatigue factor!!

I don't care what I do, I can NEVER, EVER get rid of that debilitating fatigue!!

Instead of blood in my veins, I think it's dead-weight lead!!! Because my arms feel like they weigh a ton--so heavy sometimes that I can barely lift them off the table. That's why it's so impossible for me to use a curling iron or anything like that.

And .... I agree with him ..... USE A CANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

They really do help!!!!

and .... it looks better for us when we ask for a senior citizen's discount!!!!!! LOL LOL

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

The good is the shot of cortisone made my knee feel much better... Now why can't the do that for hour whole bodies.

I agree with you guys. I think the fatigue is horrible. I've spent most of the week in bed... in and out of sleep.... ya know, it's kind of like that in and out sleep you get when you have the flu.

It's also making me feel so helpless.... and believe me, I am not one who likes to feel helpless.

Tigger
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My back always hurts but since the pain used to be so bad,living with it is almost normal.Linda