RHOGAM shots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WhoSaid, Jul 28, 2008.

1. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

I have been thinking this over and wonder how many have had the Rhogam shots? I remember these shots like it was yesterday when I got them. Within a half hour of getting the shot I thought I was going to freeze to death. The first shot I actually got was in Mass. in August.
    I have 5 children. I have A- blood and my youngest and oldest are negative but the 3 in the middle are positive.
    I received the Rhogam shots in 1976, 1979 and 1980 after they were born.
    I wonder if there is some connection.
  2. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I had one Rhogam shot after my first son was born in June 1984. I am O-. I don't remember any side effects then, but that was 24 yrs ago. I did not have one after my 2nd son was born. Who knows? I think it is still a guessing game when it comes to figuring out what causes FM.
  3. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

The Rhogam shot is to surpress the immune system...FM and several other diseases are autoimmune diseases...
    Seems to me that even if this isn't the "cause" that it sure has potential for being a part of the puzzle.
  4. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I have had three Rhogam shots. Hmmm wonder if there is a connection?
  5. lyzzy

lyzzy New Member

I had the shot in 1978, when I was 19, and never really understood what it was for,as I was young and dumb! It makes sense if it supresses the immune system that it could cause problems later in life. Hmmmm, wonder if the researchers have ever been made aware of this? Has anyone asked their docs about it?
  6. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

I have also had 2 rhogam shots...one in 1982 and one in 1986.

I have several autoimmune diseases...FM, vitiligo, and hypothyroidism to name a few.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2008]
  7. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

I have never talked to anyone about this but I think that it might be a good idea. No doubt I will be told that there couldn't possibly be a connection. Heaven forbid anyone should be held accountable!
    I hope that a few more that have had the Rhogam shots say so and just maybe we can bring this to someone's attention.
  8. margo60

margo60 New Member

I never thought of making a connection with this, but yes I did have one Rhogam shot in 76.

Hmmm ... will be interesting to see how many of us had them on the forum ?

Also I used to say how much stronger my immune system was before having a baby. I never got sick ... then when ever my son was sick so was I.

9. lease79

lease79 New Member

I am O- & have had the Rhogam shots after previous deliveries, (will have it again this time if this baby is + blood type.)

I've never noted any side effects from the shot, & for me I had CFS/FMS well before I was even given Rhogam.
  10. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I've heard moms of autistic kids question whether these shots were a factor in their kids becoming autistic.

I've only heard it once or twice though...
  11. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Count me in, I've had three, 75,78, and 89.
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

I had one shot 36 years ago, no side effects. Didn't get CFS/FM till 30 years later.

I did have a couple of blood transfusions 3 years before CFS/FM I have often wondered if there could be a connection with the transfusion and the DD.

We are always looking for answers, sure hope one day there will be one. I doubt this DD so often.

God Bless,
  13. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Last year there was extensive posting regarding Rh negative, and the results were astounding.

Because I am Rh negative, I received one rhogam shot during my first pregnancy ('89) and another within 72 hours of giving birth because the babies (identical twins) were positive. I received another shot during my second pregnancy ('93) but no shot post-delivery because that baby was negative like me. So I received a total of three Rhogam shots.

If you do a search on'Rh negative' in the search box above, you wouldn't believe the overwhelming amount of FM moms that are indeed Rh negative, and thus, have received at least one and very likely several rhogam shots. The potential for a correlation between those shots and the onset of this dd is very unsettling.

[This Message was Edited on 07/29/2008]
  14. hensue

hensue New Member

Wonder if there is a connection, I have had three babies all positive so I have had 3 rhogam shots.
    I hope every one will post to find out
    mine were 1975, 1978, 1981
  15. Stephiroth

Stephiroth New Member

Hi. I think that although I don't trust any product the government deems safe %100, I can't help but think we're making the wrong connections here. I've often considered the possibilities of side effects from injections like Rhogam and vaccines and the like, but I always come back to the actual blood type itself. After years of independent research (using Google, not a lab, unfortunately) I've pretty much concluded that Rh-negative blood is an open invitation to autoimmune disorders and that dormant ones can be triggered by things like chemicals, medications and infections. I (and thousands more) have linked blood type to autoimmunity and it's infuriating that no one's researching it. I guess they don't want people to know that all their ailments are related to one thing, which can be treated with just one method. If you're diabetic, if you have arthritis, if you have FM, asthma, allergies, if you have any type of autoimmune disorder at all, it's all caused by one single problem. All of you taking meds for all of your health problems (if you're Rh-negative there's a good chance you're falling apart), could be treating yourselves naturally instead of taking unsafe medications. After being told I had dysplasia I went on a health binge for 6 straight months without falling off the wagon. I ate all-natural foods and discovered herbs and many types of foods that treat autoimmune disorders (among other illnesses). For 6 straight months I didn't have an asthma attack, my AS didn't flare, I never got flushed, my GERD didn't flare, my IBD didn't flare, my skin was flawless, I fought 2 bouts of H1N1 on my own (with a kudos from my doc) and baffled my oncologist with how quickly I healed from surgery and that it almost looked like it never happened. The lab results from my leep procedure indicated that the dysplasia hadn't been completely removed...after 6 months I fought the rest of it off on my own. I have a lot of info I wish to share with as many people as possible about the crap we put in our bodies. There is an unlimited amount of info available on the internet and I've tested most of it. Ask me anything :)
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That said, however, a lot is not known about any of these illnesses.

I had a miscarriage before the Rhogam shots were available so I was sensitized before both my daughters were born. My youngest daughter had to be transfused the night she was born. I later donated plasma to be used for production of the Rhogam shots. That was before I got so sick and realized that we should not be donating blood, blood products nor any tissue for use in others. No one knows for sure what causes our illnesses so we don't know whether donations are safe or not.

My Mom had FMS, I have FMS and CFIDS/ME and Sjogren's Syndrome. Both my daughters have FMS and some cousins have had strange immune illnesses. From what my Mom has told me about her Mother, it appears she may have had FMS too.

It is my belief that there is a genetic component to our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  17. Stephiroth

Stephiroth New Member

I also think that more components of the donor and recipient blood should be identified before an exact match is made. There is more to matching blood than just A, B, AB, O and Rhesus factor. There are gene markers as well. I tested positive for the gene marker HLA B27 (even this can be broken down into further components), which is somehow responsible for disorders like Ankylosing Spondylitis.
    Depending on the blood types of donor and recipient, the recipients blood can actually convert to the donor's type. So who's to say other components of the person's genes can't be transmitted as well?