RhondaSSD Denial

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1975jet, Nov 4, 2006.

1. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi, I read your post about getting denied 1st time for SSD- question --how long did you wait before you got the 1st denial letter? Janet
  2. johnston

johnston New Member

I am visiting my in-laws now, and that paperwork is home. I know it was at least 4mo, and I am thinking they took a full six.....We are not going home until or Monday or Tuesday, please don't hesitate to rmind me!!! It is a very long and time consuming process. Good luck! Rhonda
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

I applied in person the 12th of September. A few weeks later received 2 questionaires in the mail. I called & asked questions about a post-it-note they had stuck to mine about past work history. Filled them out the best I could (hoped they could read it cause my writing has gotten terrible). Received my denial soon after post marked Oct. 24th.

I have FMS/MPS, DDD in neck with 3 buldged discs & 1 herniated disc, DDD in lower back with 1 herniated disc. I have nerve & muscle deteriation ion both legs & it's showing up in my arms now. Constant muscle jumping in arms & legs, etc. According to SSA I can work....NOT! Heck I can't stand 10 minutes before my back flares up. Family doc is pretty sure I'm headed for surgery for neck & lower back both.

Called my lawyer who told me to call the local SSA office to ask for a appeal/hearing. They sent me a form to fill out requesting a hearing. I'm gonna let my lawyer deal with that. That's as far as I am right now.

My doc is supportative of me filing for SSD. I'll know if the surgeon will be on the 15th.

I think the wait time for first denial, hearings, etc depends on where you live, how many applications they have, etc. I was going to try to do it all myself, but then decided to get a lawyer to do it for me.
  4. badge53nj

badge53nj New Member

In New Jersey I applied for SSD on December 29, 2005. I received my first denial the end of September, 2006. I immediately applied for an appeal in October, 2006. My attorney feels that I will hear from SSD within 4 months!!

I also agree with an article that I read; when filling out SSD forms be brief and do not write in the margins. Just keep your answers short.
  5. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Thanks all- I know it can take very long.... One of my polio gals- got hers in one month- gotta be a record- anyways she told me it is probably because she is so close to retirement age- she probably is correct...

be well Janet