Rhuematic Fever? What do you know about it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krock, Mar 6, 2009.

1. krock

krock Member

I have been diagnosed with CFS and FM almost 2 years ago. A new doctor I tried did 3 blood tests related to strep (ASO, streptozyme) which were all positive. He said this means I have rhuematic fever, and need to be treated. However, he did not prescribe antibiotics.

I called my cardiologist office to tell the nurse of my diagnosis. She spoke to the doctor, and he said he was very suspicious of that diagnosis, that I do not have rhuematic fever.

It seems that a lot of rhuematic fever symptoms overlap fm and cfs - fatigue, pain. I also have mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation, which can be part of rhuematic fever.

My questions are: One, has anyone had this disease and can describe what it is like? And two, what type of doctor is best to diagnose and treat it?

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know that strep and/or rheumatic fever are always treated with antibiotics. This is necessary to get rid of the infection and to prevent further complications. Actually, if the illness is recurring or esp severe long term antibiotics are used. In general, I think antibiotics are overused, but in certain cases they are warranted, and this is definitely one. Rheumatic fever can lead to some serious complications, and like I already said can recur if not treated properly. Personally, i would go back to the Dr who said you have it and ask for copies of the test results to give to your other Dr and I would ask why he isn't prescribing antibiotics. If you don't get satisfactory answers from either of those Drs, take the test results to a new Dr (not sure what kind, though, sorry)
  3. krock

krock Member

I did get copies of the test results at my appointment. The nurse at my cardiologist said she would have the scheduler call me to set an appointment so I could discuss with him in person. I have left her several messages, but she won't return my calls. I need a new doctor who is on top of all this, just am so frustrated with how to find that person. As if it is not hard enough feeling like crap and having no energy, trying to find appropriate medical care is so hard.
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

I had rheumatic fever as a child...age 10 (1970). It was horrible. Extreme weakness, fever, delirious. I have an extremely MILD case and was bed bound for six weeks. Most people (at least at that time...during the 1960s/1970s) were actually hospitalized for rheumatic fever. I fell ill with this following a bout of strep throat (about a month later). I was so weak that I literally had to be carried or had to crawl to the bathroom.

Even after returning to school, it took me several months to regain my strength.

I became ill with mono from cytomegalovirus back in 2002. That illness was very similar to how I felt with rheumatic fever.

Now, as far as treatment, I remember that they had me on a sulfur drug (antibiotic) long term. I was supposed to stay on it for several years. About a year into this, my "new" pediatrician declared that it was not necessary for me to stay on the drug, and so they took me off.

I, too, have mitral valve prolapse with mild regurgitation.

I hope this info was at least of some help to you :)

5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hi Terry,
    just wondering does your heart bother you much?? i too was severly sick as a child, dont know if it was rheumatic fever, my Mother NEVER took me to a Dr.
    But since then my heart has bothered me, i was about 6 or so.
    since the fibro, and surgery last year my heart has been reallt Bad, Palps, Brady cardia,chest pains, all kinda stuff. several years ago they said my Mitral valve was thickening. and not to worry till i was old & grey, yea right!!
    Just wondering what your symptoms are
    thanks, Kat