Rhynauds syndrum

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mn1superior, Mar 4, 2006.

1. mn1superior

mn1superior New Member

I have had FM for more than fifteen years, but now I have developed Rhynauds, in my fingers and my toes, I actually think that this is worse than the fibro, if I get cold anywhere in my body my fingers go numb and then pure white and they hurt really bad, and it takes a quite a while for the blood to start curculating again and the pain is really the worst when the blood starts flowing into them again, But they have even turned blue, has anyone else had this problem????? The Doctor has stated that I have to swing my arms around and around until the blood flow starts again,but the fibro has my shoulders so that the rotator cuffs are full of arthritis an I can't swing them, so I just suffer. Please let me know if you have this problem, and what you do for it.
    Thanks mn1superior
  2. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Try to keep as warm as possible, taking special care with your hands and feet, especially in the winter...because your tolerance for the cold is much lower due to the decrease in circulation.

I hate winter, some days I want to sit down and cry, I just hurt...I will crawl in a hot tub to get the feeling back in my feet and hands, not pleasant, feels like getting jabbed with needles, they usually turn from white to purple as the blood starts flowing back in them, but at least I'm warm again and if I can keep them warm I'm okay.

Thick soled slippers, heavy socks, an electric blanket to cozy up with while watching TV, heavy insulated mittens for going out, leg warmers for my calves...I try to keep as warm as possible, because once I start to get cold, I stay that way.

{{{Hugs}}}
    Danny

3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Definitely not as bad as you. But, what I do is wear very warm socks and gloves. I move my hands and fingers to get the blood going. Try to stay warm as possible.

When my feet get cold, I'd swear they get frostbitten, and I'm cold all over. If I keep my feet warm, I'll stay warm and generally not have a problem.
  4. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I have Reynaud's in one finger and both feet. I always have to have at least one pair of socks on my feet. I wear socks to bed even with my heated mattress pad on. Also I always warm up my car....

Good luck!
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes I had that blue/black finger thing about ten days ago. They thought it was a blood clot now rheumy thinks it is Sjorengens that produces Raynauds too. Only had it in the one finger once, but prior to fingers were getting numb. Last night two toes went numbey and still are a bit.

Funny thing my main fibro pain presently is in the left rotator cuff all around the angel wing in my shoulder thru to my chest like a big circle, so I wonder if the two are connected as you have this.
    Love Anne C
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi yes i have raynauds. as has been said its very important you wrap up. its easy to get too cold and very herd to warm back up again.
    i have two nick names one is my name and 12 knickers and the other is terrorist :)

dont fling your arms around...fool drs !! you can flex your hands and feet when you feel them start to numb or tingle and then 'shake it out' if you havent caught it in time.
    in the summer carry a light weight jacket...even the slightest dip in temperature will have you in shivers and blue.
    oh and buy some pocket warmers!! great for winter and when they cool off a bit i shove them into the palm of my gloves :)
  7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

One very important tip...do not run your hands under hot water.It can cause permanent damage to the blood vessels.Also don't smack your hands togther to warm them or stomp your feet to get blood circulating.

Wear gloves but mittens are better they hold heat in much greater than gloves.

Keep warm especially around cold air or air conditioners.Wear a hat outside or even inside if you are cold.Keep feet in socks.Wear playtex gloves while doing dishes.Protect those fingers from hot water.

I have been put on norvsac 5 mg.It has not helped at all.My reheumy. just gave me a perscription for nitro-bid.It is notmally used for cardic patients to open up blood vessels.

If you ever try this be very careful to apply just a little and DON'T rub it in.Thisa stuff can cause dizziness and the worst headache you have ever had.SOme people do well on it but I have found a few including myself that couldn't bare the headaches.

There is a support group online.It is called the raynauds association.They have a message board too.I have gotten alot of help there.

Best of luck to you.Stay warm!
    Sheila
  8. mn1superior

mn1superior New Member

Thank You All for the help. I know that I have to stay warm, and in weather like we have in Minnesota who can, You see I live on a farm and have my own mobile home, (I moved it in on my folks land) I live here to help my folks with the animals, and also my father has congestive heart failure and mother needed help. But this winter has been the worst, my fingers are really bad so she does most of the chores, I do have my good days tho, and that is when I try to get the hay, straw, and the feed around so that if I can't handle it the next day they are okay. It is really tough around here.Oh sorry to rattle on, I get carried away somtimes, Thank you again for your info. God Bless and try to have a pain free night.
    MN
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I also have Raynauds Syndrome. I can relate to your symptoms.

I can't add much to what everyone else has said ... like keep your hands and feet warm when you go out in the winter.

Hugs,
    Janet
  10. Cakeart

Cakeart New Member

last winter. Don't swing your arms around, it doesn't do any good! My surgeon has this also and she has to be extremely careful as she could lose her livelyhood if she weren't careful. First of all, she gave up snow skiing and winter sports as you should reduce exposure to the elements if possible. Here are her recommendations:

Heat car before driving

Keep extra gloves in car (original purpose of gove box!)

Wear gloves in cool/cold weather

Wear sox and inclosed shoes for toe protection year round

Use those instant heat paks design for shoes and pockets in winter, but only with gloves and sox on to protect from heat

Never hold a glass with ice or a hot cup without protection

use cup sleeves (cardboard ones like starbucks provides) for both cold and hot drinks or wrap with several napkins

keep insulated glove in kitchen to use when taking anything (especially ice) out of freezer

use heating pad or hot water bottle to warm sheets at foot of bed before sleeping, wear socks, then remove heat before falling asleep

Use all precautions for protecting your toes and fingers that are reccommended for diabetics, as loss of feeling in your digits increases your chance of damage

These are all the hints I can remember right now, I know they have helped me, I hope they help you too!