RI Doctor Pain Meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daytrippersoul, Jun 11, 2008.

1. daytrippersoul

daytrippersoul New Member

Hi there. My pain is worse than ever. I got on the low dose Lyrica and all it did was make me fall asleep. I have a 7 month old. I can't be sleeping!! I used to take Norco. Does anyone around here in Rhode Island who will prescribe it? My doc won't. I've been reading that it works well especially when the pain is excruiating!!

2. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

HImy name is Ruthie I read a post by you earlier saying you were lonely.So Don't be come here and talk,it will help alot. I know what you are going through because I get lonely and get in bad derpression,.

About pain meds,it seems it is near imposible to get relief. It is just not right. I gained 30 pounds on lyrica and have to take way too many other meds. If I had
    proper pain control, I could be on just one.

These doctors would rather treat with new drug{lyrica}which has side effects,when all people really need is a long acting opoid. Well I am here if you need anything but don't have any way to help . RUthie
  3. daytrippersoul

I can't do anything anymore. Even.and esepeciall enjoy my 7 month old daughter. You're right Ruthie...I tried the Lyrica....it's terrible..for me anyways. Puts me to sleep. I just want to be out of pain!!! My b/f gets frustrated. I feel guilty. I feel sad looking back on how in shape I was..how I used to travel...went to london/liverpool even. Now I have lots of errands and I can't get em' done..always hurting. I've smoked pot just for some relief. ---- what a way to live.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know how you feel. This DD can be so hard on us. I am older than you and I do not know how I would have done if my daughter's weren't grown.

You sound like you are on overload.

I had to really do some searching to finally find a PCP and Rheumy who understands this. But it is still not easy. Remember the doctor is working for you. Interview them or when calling ask if this doctor has worked with people with FM/CFS/ME.

I can't work which I did for over 20 years working with adolescents with emotional disturbances. I had to be quick on my feet, it was very intensive and I thrived on it. My weight was fine. I had always been active. I also was raising my daughters. While a single mother, my ex was a very involved father.

I am now living on disability making less than a fourth of what I was.

Something that helped me dealing with other family members and friends, was seeing a therapist who works with people with chronic illnesses. She is also a nurse. Not only was I able to vent but she taught me coping skills that really helped. I only went for about two months but still check in with her every few months. She also hooked me up with some social services.

While my family was very skeptical and thought it was only depression, they finally understood and have been very supportive. This was also very hard on them, especially my daughters see their mother sick.

You mentioned in either this post or another that you have a baby. You could have post partum depression which may not be helping out. At one time I was dealing with this DD and clinical depression. A double whammy. Let me tell you getting that taken care of plus the counseling did me a world of good. You can get PPD even though your child is older. While it did not cure my symptoms it helped me cope and get a perspective on things.

That does not mean I do not have times when this really gets me down.

Please understand, it is not depression that is making you sick. But you can have depression with it even if it is only situational depression.

Do you have someone to help you with your baby? Are you on disability?

You have come to a great place for advice, information and support. We are all dealing with this. Sometimes we are the supporters, sometimes the ones that need support.

I am mentioning the above as some things that MIGHT help. I am not a doctor so I can only tell you what has helped me.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Stay in touch.

[This Message was Edited on 06/11/2008]
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You cannot go on living in pain! That just irks me to no end when doctors won't help patients.
    Has your doctor come right out and said he will not prescribe Norco or any other pain medication and did you ask why?
    Did you tell him how your pain effects how you function?
    That is key - not telling them how much you hurt, but telling them what you can and cannot do is much more effective.
    I'd be setting up consultations with some docs in the area. Ask what they experience/knowledge is and how they treat it. Then tell them you took Norco at one point and it was helpful. See what they say.
    Don't suffer any longer. It's just ridiculous!!!

IF the doctor pulls the ol' it's addictive crap - run. Yes it is addictive, but you'll probably become dependant before you become addicted. There's tons of info on that whole subject. My doctor, thank God, has never once mentioned the addictive stuff. She knows there's a good chance I'll need pain meds for a long time. I really hope I don't, but there's a possibility.
  6. daytrippersoul

Yes, I am on disability. Have been for 5 years now even though I have had this DD for 8 years. My b/f of 5 years helps with the baby but it wears alot on him and I always feel awful which makes him feel even worse. Seriously..I just don't know where to begin anymore. I'm tired. I hardly eat or do mych of anything else. I want to carry my daughter..lift her up..play with her and I can't. (Hate that word..can't!) And I feel terrible that he is doing most everything.Guilty is the word. WHAT CAN I DO?!?! I just need something to take away the pain but what doc is going to prescribe anything that will help? YOu know the drill...been on everything...helps for a bit ..or makes ya sick. -- Just give me some pain meds and some relief so I can do some of the other things in my so called "life". And yes..PPD is probly another problem now. Sigh. I feel a deep emptiness inside. I'm confused and unhappy and in pain.I just got a house and I......ME...I want to do things to decorate and stuff. But it hurts too much. Someone HELP ME.

HUGZ - Daytripper.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]
  7. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i'm so sorry you are feeling the way you are, my heart goes out to you, and i can definately relate.

as Janalyn asked, have you come right out and just told the doctor that you already know the pain meds help, and give you back some of your quality of life?

you can not be afraid to say what you need.

i know it's hard. i went almost a full year before i was able to not be afraid, and just say what worked, and believe it or not, when i stopped being afraid, and was honest about what i needed, i finally got it.

i'm still not all the way where i need to be, but it's a start.

if your doctor isn't willing to give, it may be time to move on to another doctor.

also, it could help if you talked with someone (like a psychologist). it would then be in your records that you are sincerely in pain, and not just drug seeking, and then they could forward the records to your doctor. it would also help to get things off your chest. they would let you know that you are not worthless, you are ill, and help you learn how to cope.

and please don't feel so worthless when it comes to your daughter. believe me, she knows you love her. instead of focusing on the things you can't do right now, try doing the things you can, like just holding her while your lying down, or just sitting and feeding her.

i wish you the best, and the strength to keep on pushing.

much love.......autumn<3
  8. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

When I hear a story like yours I go red. Doctors are more concerned with their medical license than they are their patients. Fortunately for me I have found that Ultram works very well and most doctors don't seem to have a problem giving it. It isn't supposed to be as addicting, but I'm sure I am. Do I care? Absolutely not. It is having a semi-functioning life vs. being bedridden all of the time.

Have you tried Ultram (generic - Tramadol)? It isn't a narcotic and not everyone does well with it, but maybe he'll give it to you.

Now, you really didn't hear this from me *L*. There is always the internet. It is more costly and you run the risk of seizure but like the song says "You can get anything you want, at alice's restaurant". And it is illegal. But I did it for a while and it was worth the risk. No one is going to bother a single working woman who orders a few boxes every few months. I'M not the problem.

You can also order Ultram online 'legally' and I say that loosely. Some states won't allow it. Mine does and if I need more, I get it there. At this point I don't give a hoot about addiction, I just want relief.

BUT, I'm NOT advocating breaking the law. What I want to do is change it. I want to get these arcane laws changed and untie the hands of so many doctors. In France you can buy codeine over the counter and drink wine for breakfast and from what I've seen, they aren't a drug-addled, drunken population.

Ok, I'll stop ranting and get down off my soapbox. My heart goes out to you. I agree with what everyone says, keep searching for a doctor and explain what works best for you. There are a few mavericks out there who will risk themselves for the care of their patients.
  9. Toga

Toga Member

It sounds to me like you may be depressed also. And if it is PPD, then maybe your OB would rx an anti-depressant.

I know that depression can make pain far worse. I'm not saying that you would be cured, but it might help and make it possible for you to do more of the physical things that you want to do.

Good thoughts,