Rib Cage Pain ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by epicurean, Sep 18, 2002.

1. epicurean

epicurean New Member

Hello,
    fairly new to board,and have a question.
    I like a lot of you always have some pain in chest,mostly in sternum,but latley it has been worse than ever,my entire rib cage hurts,and some pain in spine between shoulder blades.It has caused me to become not able able to function.Any ideas?See Dr. today-hope he can help!!
    Thanks
  2. epicurean

epicurean New Member

Hello,
    fairly new to board,and have a question.
    I like a lot of you always have some pain in chest,mostly in sternum,but latley it has been worse than ever,my entire rib cage hurts,and some pain in spine between shoulder blades.It has caused me to become not able able to function.Any ideas?See Dr. today-hope he can help!!
    Thanks
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I have pain across my rib cage and spasms...in those...I guess they are called sheet muscles. Mine radiates downward from my neck and shoulder blades, too.
    But as is...probably typical....this can go from being my number one consuming pain, one day, to way down the list of ouches the next. When it first started though, it was severe and totally incapacitating, then eased off.
    Karen
  4. epicurean

epicurean New Member

thank-you for your reply.Hopefully this pain also will come and go-I hope!!
  5. shannon

shannon Guest

This is one of my worst symptoms. Do you have little lumps all over them? My best friend also has this pain and has lumps deep inside her ribs as I do. They seem to really make the pain even worse when they flare up...
  6. Ness

Ness New Member

I too get this pain quite often..I think it is just another one of those FIBRO things.Those deep burning, aching Knots of fire!!!!

My worst areas are my ribs/Neck and shoulders....I feel your pain....and know how frustrating and overwhelming it can be at times...Just remember that you are NOT ALONE!!!!!

We are here for you and understand.

Peace
    Ness
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2002]
  7. pamela

pamela New Member

I have had for 2 1/2 yrs. the pain that is in front of the ribs like under your skin. Wierd..huh? It also gets worse when I eat sugar..any form..lactose, dextrose, fructose, sucrose..anything that ends with a "ose." But also the pain gets so bad on the flip side like right under the shoulder blades and the pain is also under the skin on top of my shoulder blades. I use absorbine Jr. and a heating pad every night for this. It helps me fall asleep.
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

I get little pea sized nodules in the intercostal (between ribs) muscles, and along the rib margins, that hurt and burn when they are touched. I think they are bunched up muscle fibers that knot themselves and then get starved for oxygen. If I can stand to rub them, sometimes they'll almost go away for awhile. My sternum is also very tender to pressure. Gee. For the longest time I thought that was normal!!! *g* silly me. I guess it is normal, though, for FMS.

Peace,

Beth.
  9. epicurean

epicurean New Member

most of the time it is more than pain-it's muscle spasms,bad enough that it stops me dead-vicoprofen and heat ,and muscle relaxents hardly do a thing.
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

is what this is called and it is very common in FMS, esp. in cold weather, and in women with big busts.
    This ends in "itis" and so it is one condition where anti-inflammatories will actually help if your stomach can tolerate them (aspirin, Aleve, etc.). Heating pads also help, and ease up on any exercises that call for heavy breathing or that make your breasts bounce, until the pain calms down. See your doctor for muscle relaxers if all else fails. Depending on where the pain is, you may be able to get cortisone shots to ease the inflammation. This is not something to ignore as in severe cases it can cause enough trouble breathing to lead to hospitalization.
    Klutzo
  11. dlizard

dlizard New Member

a tired burning pain for lack of a better word for it.. in what I would call the pleural space... it feels less like muscle and more like something rubbing together that shouldn't... but I also get**SEVERE** cramps in my rib cage at times and like epicurean these pains will cold stop you* They actually amke me cry and scream out loud... and to top it off... my rheumie wouldn't give me anything but antidepressants for it... lawdy lawdy... I tell ya, that's the worst pain I've ever had and I hate it when it gets started cause I have to totally stop my life. You can imagine the lady running outta d mall screaming obscenities at the top of her lungs... well that would be me... that's the intensity of these pains! so yeah ,I get that kind of pain and I'm betting that is what you are speaking of... well... flexeril a muscle relaxer didn't work at all... I had a few left over valium from my dentist and they worked like a charm!! (( That's what the rheumie wouldn't give me., go figure LOL>>>)) but alas the fmily doc truly helps me with whatever works.... I wish you luck sweety!
  12. epicurean

epicurean New Member

you were right on target.Dr. gave me Rx for anti-inflammatories,plus told to increase muscle-relaxents when necessary, thank-you all for your input!!
  13. TeddiAnn

TeddiAnn New Member

Dear Epicurean,

Have you ever been in a car accident and had broken or fractured rib? I get an inflamation of the rib cage called costo-condritis from a car accident (spelled wrong I know). If you are referring to muscle spasams that occur at the sides just underneath the rib cage or between the shoulder blades these are or maybe Firomyalgia related. I get them too. It can also be as a result of flu like symtoms that a part of chronic fatigue sydnrome. I have read that the symtoms, very sore throat, night sweats, headache etc are considred to be acute symptoms. Figures, stupid recent article about recovering from CFS doesn't seem to take into considereation people like me who have accute symtoms for years. I know that there is no cure for my arthritis and I don't think that there is a cure for CFS either. What I have learned is that when I sweat alot at night it affects my potassium levels which can lead of muscle spasams and or cramps. Try drinking some orage juice, citris punch or eating a banana.
    That often helps me. It also doesn't hurt to consult with your doctor about these problems.
  14. kaymac

kaymac New Member

Hi, Kaymac here, been reading the boards alot lately. This hits home. Funny, how someone mentions something, and you instantly know, you suffer the same thing exactly, and have been, but didn't realize this was FMS related!

My ribs hurt alot too, and sometimes it is hard breathing because it expands them and that hurts! Oh, and the burning between shoulder blades! I have been to my md twice for a pain shot on the really bad days with my back spasms.

Don't take this wrong, but is so good to hear others speak of the same things that you are experiencing!

kaymac
  15. clueless

clueless New Member

I have pain and it feels like pressure under my left rib cage a lot of the time and when I saw someone mention nodules---that is what I have down the back of both thighs. My legs are in constant pain no matter what I take for meds. Even the oxycontine does`nt take care of that. I have so much pain deep in my hips that I imagine I have the nodules there also. Are they knotted muscles? The doctor gave me a muscle relaxer but it made my legs so weak I stopped taking them.Some fun this is is`nt it?
  16. crickett

crickett New Member

My pain is more like heart attack pain, only on the right side.Pain starting just below the sternum radiating down the right side, center of chest, between the shoulder on the back, up into jaw and neck and some down the arm.Comes in spasms like labor. No kidding having a baby would be a piece of cake compared to this. Pain lasts anywhere from 12 hours to days. A sip of water can start it all over. I always thought is was gall bladder! I have had cardiac ruled out. The gastroenterologist order a nuclear scan of the gall bladder. NORMAL of course. I was the one that had the real bad experience with the colonoscopy.. They couldnt' complete the test because the whole colon is full of divericulitis. Anyway, they put me on Librax in addition to eveything I'm taking. Conclusion being before doing another colonoscopy with anesthesia was Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I just just rembered when the FOG cleared, I had gone through a stress test and angiogram when they thought I Had An 85% blockage in the main artery in the heart, it showed no evidence of any heart disease at all! The caridologist concluded that it was guess what?? Chest Wall Pain from the FIBRO
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2002]
  17. shell

shell New Member

I just posted a message before I read this on back pain I have been scared about for 3 weeks. I cried when I read this because it just has been so tough dealing with it. I didn't know if it was fibro or not and it alleves the worry!!!!!! I have honestly been reading about breast cancer metastasis and had myself a step into the grave. Esp. since I had a lump under my arm. It is just so hard not to be worried about this, it was my first bad flare-up after 5 years of mild symptoms. I am so glad this board is here.
  18. epicurean

epicurean New Member

As far as your questions go-no-have never had a broken rib,or accident.
    But I do have costo-condritis,muscle spasms,and myofasial pain(just to name a few).So I know take vicoprofen,antiinflmatories,and muscle relaxers when heat dosn't do it by itself.Go to a great pain managment Dr.
    Of course I know to be carefull not to overdo it at the gym
    Thnaks for your reply!!
  19. montana

montana New Member

With FMS/mps etc. a person gets cartridge spasms around the ribs/ sternum etc. They are the Intercostal muscles, between and behind your ribs, so you are talking about that and diaphragm spasms, the diaphragm is the largest muscle in the body and the spasms hurt so bad you can hardly breath.

The Lumps are nods at the ends of your nerve endings. This happens when your nerves/muscles have chronic pain, they just get the bumps, kind-of like when you have had chronic pain in one place for a long time, just touching the skin over the pain will redden the skin.
  20. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

This is all part of fm and all you can do is take something for the pain and get the heating pad out. Heat will REALLY make it feel better!!

Marilyn :)