Rib & chest pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat0465, Aug 11, 2003.

1. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i have just found this web page & was desperately looking for a post about this very thing. i have had the rib & brest bone pain for a long time now, like they say its part of the fibro sometimes.
    but for 3 or 4 weeks i have had it behind my shouldr blade on the left side. its usually spread all over the rib area.and it hurts worse when i take a deep breath, not in the lung, but the muscle that mooves when you breathe.
    just another wonderful gift from the fibro fairy i guess
    hope your feeling better soon
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hi Kat,

I have the chest and rib thing going on too. Sometimes it seems to go into my shoulder blades and settle. You are so right, a gift from the fibro fairy! LOL You also might want to get it checked out by a doctor just to reassure yourself.

If you go to the top left of the page and enter 'chest pain' into the message search box, you will see many posts which deal with this! Maybe you already did, and thru my 'fog', I just didn't pick that one up!

Gentle Hugs,

Kim
  3. Ponygirl

Ponygirl New Member

I have done this trigger pt injection therapy 4 times. Not a bit of relief and very $$$$$$$!!!!!! Glad it works for some, but it's not the answer for all of us.
  4. smoke

smoke New Member

I also have this type of pain. I went to the emergency once in the middle of the night over this. They did a chest X-Ray and other tests and said everything was normal. I asked then if they could tell if I had a rib out of place? They looked and said that I didn't. When I got home I went to my Dr. which he is a DO and I told him about this, he felt my back/shoulder and told me I did have a rib out, and he fixed the rib and made a big difference. This is where the pain from the shoulder was. He told me the regular Drs will not catch the rib being out of place by looking at X-Rays. I have had a rib that gave me problems before I was DX and did not think anything of it until this time. I think it would be worth checking this out.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2003]
  5. pearls

pearls New Member

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies has helped my chest and hand pain tremendously! I also asked my pain doctor to recommend someone who really knew trigger points. He sent me to a wonderful chiropractor who does indeed know them. This chiropractor helped me to find trigger points in my back to the side of the spine that have relieved my chest pain. Now I work those points with massage myself. I use a tennis ball in an old, cotton sock. I hang the ball down to the trigger point and press very hard with the ball between me and the wall as I "massage" the trigger point. I've been able to reduce the amount of oxycontin and hydrocodone I've been taking - and I really think I'll be reducing it again this next month, too. The reason why I asked for the person who really knew trigger points, and the reason why I could understand what he was doing, was I had read the Davies book. I could not be without that book now.

Then there's the pain in my hands: I sometimes woke up as often as every 15 minutes with horrible pain that could not be relieved without getting up and walking around. Neither the oxycontin nor the hydrocodone could stop the pain from my hands. I had been wearing splints 18 hours per day since last winter because of this pain. But, from the self-confidence I gained from the chiropractor who had found the trigger points in my back, I really believed I could solve my problem with my hands, so I read the book and experimented. (By the way, I had to do this myself because the chiropractor, who knew I had been to several other chiropractors because of my hand pain - including ART therapy, did not think he could help me with that pain.)

The following is really excitiing to me: I got to the place where my pain doctor was ready to inject my trigger points, but I wwas going camping that day and didn't want to do it when I would be so far from "civilization" (my husband really CAMPS when he camps!) I was in horrible pain and wanted the shots really bad. However, just at that same time, I discovered the two trigger points in my arm. I worked them six to eight times per day - especially when I was having pain from them - and when I got back from the trip, I didn't call the doc to arrange for the shots because I didn't seem to need them! It has now been ten days since I saw my pain doc and I need the shots even less! It was the Davies book again! I have cured my own hand pain!

Read up on trigger points.

Now, I hope you have been seen by a cardiologist for possible heart problems and a pulmonologist for possible lung problems. This is absolutely essential since chest pain might be from a cause that can kill you! In the meantime, it won't hurt to buy a copy of the book (Amazon has it for not too much money - and it is good for pain for all sorts of people who are in pain, and not just fibromyalgia.)

Hugs,
    Pearl
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2003]
  6. joey23

joey23 New Member

hey guys i am new to this board. But is good for me to see that i am not the only one with these problems. I have had this rib pain now for about 2 years and no doctor that i have been to have been able to do anything for me. What do i do, they said it was costochondritis and that it would go away but it hasn t gone away in 2 years i don t know what to do about it. My back hurts right around the shoulder blades and the rib area and hurts really bad when i breathe in or if i twist my body to one side. I am running out of options. Advice please i really need it. Thanks guys
  7. joey23

joey23 New Member

hey guys i am new to this board. But is good for me to see that i am not the only one with these problems. I have had this rib pain now for about 2 years and no doctor that i have been to have been able to do anything for me. What do i do, they said it was costochondritis and that it would go away but it hasn t gone away in 2 years i don t know what to do about it. My back hurts right around the shoulder blades and the rib area and hurts really bad when i breathe in or if i twist my body to one side. I am running out of options. Advice please i really need it. Thanks guys
  8. easyoung

easyoung New Member

am new to the boards, but have had this pain thing occasionally in my chest and i thought i was having a heart attack. i figured out that it was a trigger point in my breastbone and if i slept wrong or leaned on it wrong,it cascaded. i work the trigger points a lot and my husband knows where they are. unfortunately, he and i are divorcing, so i no longer have anyone to put me up on the table and work on the points. what i do know is that sometimes those points are the size of nickels or peas, and once they are massaged, i feel a whole lot better in the area where i was hurting. however, i am also sometimes feeling just awful about 12-24 hours after the massage. i attribute that to all of the toxins being dumped into my system. if i get all of the trigger points worked out, i am generally ill. however, if i space out the massages, i am less likely to feel ill. i have really awful knees, and the knots build up around them. after a massage, the pain goes away significantly. i would suggest self massage as much as possible in the areas that hurt. you have to dig a bit sometimes to find the knots, but gently massaging them and then working up to massaging harder has really done the trick for me. i won't lie - it hurts like hell and sometimes it takes my breath away. however, i would rather endure the 30 minutes of real intense pain than 30 days of the constant nagging pain. ongoing pain is more debilatating for me.
    easy