Rib pain, anyone else suffer from this

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cmcm, Mar 25, 2003.

1. cmcm

cmcm New Member

I have been having these sharp quick pains in my left ribcage below the breast area. The ribs also feel sore to touch, almost bruised, but I haven't injured myself at all in this area. I have had the pains here and there before, but this time it was alot more. Just wondering if I should be concerned with this and have it checked out or just another one of those lovely symptoms of FM. Thanks for any input.

Cheryl
  2. KarenL47520

KarenL47520 New Member

fibro. At times it feels like someone has a crowbar under my ribs and trying to pry them out. It hurts like crazy but have never found anything specific that helps it. It comes and goes like a lot of the other aches and pains.
  3. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I did a search on rib pain here on the forum and found out some interesting things. It is called Costo chondritis (sp?} Some have sharp pains that mimic a heart attack. Others have pains more diffuse all over the ribs. Mine seems to run along both sides of my rib cage. I have very tender bumps or lumps of knotted tissue there. They burn constantly and when I touch them or rub them to make them go away I might as well have stuck a hot poker into my sides. My hubby will gently rub them down for me using lotion and with about 45 minutes of me screaming and him rubbing, they do go away for a day or two.
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

is something I have every morning. Feels like I have twisted my entire rib cage. It is very very painful. But, if this is a new symptom to you I would think you should contact your doctor. It is most likely from FM, but you should probably have it checked out just to be sure.

Dara
  5. cmcm

cmcm New Member

I did happen to go to the doctors this morning, turns out I have strep throat. I mentioned the pain in my ribs (saw a different dr). She didn't seem to concerned about it. I had a trace of blood in my urine, so she thought maybe it could be from my kidneys, a stone perhaps. But wants me to come back in two weeks for another urine test. I was prescribed penicillan for 10days and told to drink alot of water.
    I too think this is just related to FM. But thanks for the input. I am still new to this and symptoms just keep creeping up.
    thanks again.
  6. gailgmc

gailgmc New Member

I had severe rib pain constantly for years. Finally my doctors prescribed Imdur ER 60mg twice a day for esophageal spasm (which can cause plenty of chest pains). It has totaly stopped my awful rib pains. gail
  7. nancyann14

nancyann14 New Member

Hi All,
    I have had such pain for quite some time in the chest area; tender to the touch, etc. In addition I had a heart attack last week and that pain was in the same place but a different kind of elephant on the chest type. When the em techs asked how the pain was on a scale of 1 to 10 I answered 76.4! Had an angiogram and a stent placed in my right coronary artery. I am recovering at home. Found the two types of pain to be quite different but also feel that severe type of any pain should be checked out by docs. Nancyann
  8. OuchyMama

OuchyMama New Member

Yes I too have rib pain mine is left sideunder my breast. It hurts more with exertion. At times it hurts so much it forces me to sit and lay down in only certain positions. I too have asked my physician about this and he had no real answer for it. I am so glad to read this from you I was thinking I was nuts lol. Thanks
  9. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Yes, I have just discovered this wonderful new symptom. I have had "funny" pain on left side under the skin, but above the ribs and comes and goes. Went to ER 3 days ago, and doctor found all sorts of new VERY PAINFUL areas all over my ribs (even cried it was so painful). Of course, being the perfectionist I am, I went to ER because it felt like I had something stuck in my throat. Doc said along with my ribs and rib cartilege being inflammed, my esophagus was now spasming. Always have followed my mom's saying - be the task, big or small, do it well or not at all! Good luck to you!
  10. bejo

bejo New Member

I have rib pain once in a while,but not very often.But my ribs are really sore all the time and have been for years.I always thought they went with my OA,but now wonder if they go with fibro.If the fibro symptoms list gets any longer we'll run out of paper. LOL {{{{{soft}}}}}} bejo
  11. dianneikka

dianneikka New Member

I have had different bouts of rib pain and my family doctor was attributing it to my osteoporosis. It is interesting to see so many people with the exact same symptoms, it doesn't make me feel better.....it just confirms where it is coming from if so many with CFS or FM have it also. Mine is so painful just sitting, lying, breathing, doing nothing....it is driving me around the bend. What did you do for yours? Pain medication? How long have you been struggling with this illness? This is my first time on this site, I was searching for rib pain and found this site. Keep well!
  12. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I also have rib and sternum pain--good ole fibro in my case.
    Hey, after you take the antibiotic treatment, always take probiotics to replace the healthy flora in your gut that antibiotics kill.
    LL
  13. Fallingstar

Fallingstar New Member

I had severe pain in my ribs like that. Usually the right but now and then it would switch to the left. I found out it was part of the fibro but the dr. said it was probably caused from irritable bowel syndrome. It didn't seem like it because of the bruising feeling but he put me on Bentyl 4 times a day and after about 2 weeks the pain went away but you have to keep taking it. I went off of it about 2 mos. ago because it made me so tired and just recently the bruising feeling is coming back. I am on Darvocet anyway so maybe that helps with my rib pain too. Hope this helps!
  14. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I sometimes get an ache in my ribs usually on the right side. My ribs are fairly tender to touch in places most of the time.
    It's not much consolation but useful to know it sounds like it's fairly common in fm.
    Pam
  15. dianneikka

dianneikka New Member

Does your doctor think the IBS is related because of when you may be constipated you injure your ribs? I go through bouts too of IBS....you get to the point that you cannot figure out what is causing what? All I know this rib pain is so painful and I am already on heavy duty pain medication and it is still excruciating. Thanks for your input.
    Dianne
  16. dianneikka

dianneikka New Member

My family doctor thought it was an osteoporosis related issue, however, since reading this site, I am seeing how many people are suffering with rib pain. I presently have excruciating pain under my left breast and it is driving me crazy, even with strong pain medication. I have been putting heat on every few hours, feels soothing. Monday I will have it checked out, but there really is nothing they can do as far as I know from my past rib issues. Frustrating, isn't it? If you have been in pain for a long time, I would suggest you have someone look at it. If you see a chiropractor, that would be my first choice, otherwise your family doctor. Good luck,
    Dianne
  17. dianneikka

dianneikka New Member

I don't know if you already do this when you are on antibiotics, but you may want to condsider it, taking acidophilous.....to prevent yeast infection. One less thing to worry about. I take it with each antibiotic I take and never get yeast infections anymore; have been doing it for years. Hope you feel better.
    Dianne
  18. donna13210

donna13210 Member

...from sleeping on my side with my arm under my pillow. My arm is either straight up or bent at the elbow. Either way, it causes extra pressure on my rib cage. My ribs ache so bad every morning, much worse if I sleep in late! I know it's my own fault, but I've been sleeping that way for years and it's hard for me to change. I try sleeping with my arm down, but I don't know where to put it and be comfortable! Then I get frustrated because I can't get to sleep, so I turn over, put my arm up but under my pillow, and doze right off!

I'm not much in the willpower department.

When the ache is real bad, I have a hand-held massager unit that is about 18" long that has knobs on one side of the head and heat on the other side. It's a real strong buzzing, vibrating type of massage, but with the heat, it helps with my rib pain.

Don't know if sleep positions is related to anyone else's rib pain, but I know it is for me.

19. Solstice

Solstice New Member

It is some of my worst pain. It feels like it is tight, or stiff, and I feel like I want to just put my hands on my ribs all the time and rub them, or stretch them. It isn't usually a sharp rib pain, like a broken rib or something. More the FM type pain.

My husband will rub my ribs with something called Tiger Balm.......the red type which is the strongest strength for pain.

Also doing trigger release helps. But it can go on for days or weeks at a time, and then be ok for awhile.

On the other hand, I am a firm believer that we should still check things out. Then, if nothing else is going on, we at least can feel less anxiety about what it could be. And less anxiety always equals less pain too.

Peace,

Solstice