Rib Pain--Question for anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Peashock, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Peashock

Peashock New Member

Does anyone just have rib and side pain without the pain being in their chest? I know Costochondritis is chest and rib pain, but I only have the pain under my left ribs and sides... Can anyone help with this question?? Thanks all..

MARY
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2003]
  2. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Hi, Mary-

In addition to costochondritis, I also get rib pain. The pain was especially sharp this past weekend. It was a sharp, aching pain on my right side. A nice hot bath might help you, or a heating pad.

Smiles,
    Chrissy
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

You've desribed me to a T! I have no chest pain,just the left side rib pain-under my breast and around into the side~ My Rhuemy told me last week that it was costochondritis.I asked her if she was sure because I have no chest pain or the typical upper ribs pain.(like near your collarbone area). Thats what she says!!(who knows!)
    I have really found the only things that ease it a bit is heat and dressing warm.I've noticed it gets worse if I get chilled.So I wear a light sweater or fleece over my shirts just for the extra warmth. Mine will act up for days or weeks...then be gone! (It comes back~) Thats the unfortunate part~ Hope your better soon,keep warm.
    Best regards,
    Tracey
  4. Peashock

Peashock New Member

Thank you all for your feedback on rib pain.. The doctor wants me still to have a cat scan of my abdomen. Has anyone else had medical tests before they were diagnosed?

5. JP

JP New Member

I have some major pain under my left breast, covering my left rib cage. Some days it is so bad that I am unable to get relief with any effort. I have a tumor in the front of my left rib cage. I always thought it might be the tumor. It can be palpated and is not visible to the eye. I get the chest pain too.

Hope you find some help...Let us know if you discover the real cause of this pain.

Thanks,
    Jan
  6. starstella

starstella New Member

I get that also along my ribs along my sides. I can feel some trigger point lumps in some spots also. Sometimes its pretty painful.
    My physical therapist showed me a stretching exercise which has helped a lot. Start on your hands and knees, and then sit back onto your heels so that your arms are extended and your head is near the floor. This gives a good stretch to the back. Come back up, and place your hands and feet to the right, keeping your head and knees facing forward. Sit back again, which will stretch the left side of your rib area. Do the same for the other side. Its best to hold the stretch, try for a minute. If your muscles are really tight, you may not be able to sit back very far. Don't go beyond what feels comfortable. If you do this every day, it should help your pain if it is due to muscular problems. Of course, the heat always feels good too.
  7. sunflowertgp

sunflowertgp New Member

I have rib pain if I use a broom very long. Also when I try to lift stuff, like boxes, or anything. Also my lower back. I have a bulging disks problem there. Good Luck....