Rib pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maggiemae55, Aug 29, 2005.

1. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I have fibro and I'm having rib pain and i'm not sure if it's costochondritis. from what i've read, is the pain usually in the center of your chest? mine is on the right side, more towards the underside of my breast and radiates under my arm (not down my arm) to my back if i take a deep breath and/or move a certain way. it has woken me up at night, but doesn't hurt all the time. sometimes feels like burning.

i broke a rib on my right side about 8 years ago (fell in a ditch...don't ask :) mu pain is not constant like that was.

anyone have any experience with this? or can tell me what costochondritis feels like?

thanks in advance!!

warmly,
    maggie

2. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

so the pain does not have to be in the front where yor ribs connect to the bone? my pain is on the right, my broken rib was on the left. i also have hip pain that goes back and forth, 1 side to the other. the usual for us!

maggie
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I had to respond
    especially after your 2nd reply here.
    I've been having this rib pain off and on too,.. and I can sometimes feel it agravate with the hip (same side).
    I have it today,..well, all this week.
    It'll ease up on its own and come back again.
    Sometimes it lasts for weeks at a time! other times its just days. But its hitting me more often now.
    I only mentioned it to my Rheumy one time and he nodded his head and acted as if it was a symptom of FM.
    although he did'nt use the name Costochondritis.

(he did'nt say any name)
    He just told me at times when this part of my fm bothers me to take anti-inflammatorys for a few days.
    I think they may help.?? Hard to say.
    It hurts thats no doubt.
    I find heat helps mine. Preferably moist.
    Hope this helps :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  4. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi Maggie,

I know what you are going through, i started with the ribcage pain about 5 years ago.

Mine is on the left side right under rib, it starts off with a crawling sensation then the area goes numb, then i get the burning pain, it goes out through my back and sometimes i get a painful spasm that travels from under left ribcage up into my esophagus. It can get really severe at times and used to frighten me.

I have had camera up and down 3 times and nothing showed, my Dr thought it was a sliding Hiatus Hernia, Dr at hospital didn't know what it was and to be honest i think he thinks i'm nuts LOL.

Anyway, when i told the Rheumy about my symptoms including Bladder spasms that i have, he said they are all linked to Fibro, he is going to send a report to hospital Dr because hospital Dr wants me in again to put camera down again, Rheumy said its a waste of time that Fibro is causing my problem.

Once i know what is causing these symptoms i don't worry, i just put a heat pad on and rest, sometimes it works.

Hope this helps.

Hope you have a good day.

Bronagh :)
  5. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

ok, i feel better now!i'm sorry y'all are in pain tho!

i take voltaren (anti-inflam)and i take flexeril for sleep. i do not take any pain meds. with fibro fog, i'm scared to take any because i work in a hospital and don't want to make any mistakes! plus, most of them make me itch. i took ultram after shoulder surgery, but would like to stay away as long as i'm able.

thanks for your responses!!

warmly,
    maggie
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I take naproxen for a anti-inflammatory.
    seems to help after a few days on it.(3-5 days)

:)
    Tandy