Ribose .......anyone take it? Dr Oz in Womans world article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jan 1, 2010.

1. There is an article in Womans world with Dr. Oz article (Jan. 11 issue, pg 18 and the issue is only $1.79) and he recommends ribose for fibro/cfs. for more energy and BOY DO I NEED ENERGY....he recommends 5 grams 2 to 3 times a day. Is anyone taking this and does it help? I always hate to buy these supplements and waste my money if they don't help.
  2. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I took D-ribose for almost a year and it had no effect on me at all.

I used the powder form and mixed it with some type of beverage.

I would try it anyway because it may be something that will help you. I try everything at least once and even if it doesn't work I use it up.

What might not work for someone else just might help you out greatly!
  3. lukro

lukro Member

and I notice NO difference. I've been using it for about a month and will continue. But, to date, no more energy.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I am taking it three times a day, and so far, I don't notice any difference. I have enough to last about another three months and if I don't notice anything soon, I won't bother ordering anymore.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

What does wine have to do with anything? Were you using it as a medication? I'm not quite seeing the connection to d-ribose :)
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Dr. Teitlebaum recommends starting off at three times a day and then after three weeks cutting back to twice a day. I've continued using it three times a day as, so far, I haven't noticed any difference, whatsoever.

I use it in tea, so that is probably the only reason I remember to use it :)
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I first started taking it about 3 years ago and noticed a rather immediate boost in energy. I was taking 5 to 10 grams a day, and bought it through Swanson Vitamins as they had the best price (I bought the 300 gram powder form and mixed it in water). Unfortunately, like everything else, after awhile (can't remember how long), it stopped giving me that boost.

I recommend trying it. It has helped many people - you never know.

Also, malic acid and magnesium, or magnesium malate, help some with energy. This was another thing that helped me temporarily but I've read that it helps many people longer.

8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am surprised at how many people do not notice a difference with D-Ribose.....I wonder if it is bc you are also too low on some of the other substances that the body needs in order to make the mitochondria work ( ribose helps the mito. function)....things like CoQ10, magnesium, B vitamins, and some others I am forgetting rt now are all needed, so if you are low in others, then perhaps the ribose won't be helpful)

Personally I have noticed a very big difference with D-Ribose, but i do also take the other things, as well.....when i started taking Ribsoe I noticed a huge difference - too much in fact - was like lots of caffeine, and actually had to take less.....then it leveled off and I increased it slightly and have mostly left it at 5g/day.....though I am currently crashing very badly, I still feel better with it than w/o, and I have tried a few times to stop taking it and felt completely flattened....much better on it.....on my best days it helps some, and on my worse days it seems to be the difference between getting out of bed at all, or not....obviously not a cure, but one of the few thigs that has consistently helped me (& i have been on it for around a yr and a half now, maybe a little longer)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2010]
  9. interesting replies indeed. I may try it.?
  10. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I take it with coq10, magnesium, ALC, B12, Nadh. Its a protocol I learned here a long time ago. (Myhill's?)

I do it before I exercise, and it does give me a boost. By exercising harder, I also get too tired and take longer to recover, so it's a mixed blessing. But I'm just grateful I can still do it. It has saved my sanity.
  11. Gil'sWife

Gil'sWife New Member

I think it works wonders! I first read about it in woman's day about 5 years agao. I was taking 6 different kinds of meds that only masked things. I went to Vitamin world and used the vitamin and supplement guild for my condition and started using supplement instead of meds. I take super B complex by Nature Made ( this brand is most effective to me) VITAMIN D, ribose and exercise also i found protien helps with rebuilding my muscles. I say try and see for your self. I reseached and found ribose is a simple sugar our body naturally make but our bodies make an abundance when we are kids and not as much when we are adults. the simple sugar give energy to your muscles and helps with the constant exhaustion.