Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 31, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

How many take Ribose and how much? Anyone found it helpful with fm/cfs..

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

d-ribose has been very helpful for my energy. I was told by my doctor to take 1/2 tsp. every couple of hours as it has a very short half-life.

So I take 1/2 tsp. in the morning with my coffee (caffeine increases its effect), 1/2 tsp. mid-morning, 1/2 tsp. after lunch, 1/2 tsp. mid-afternoon and 1/2 tsp. after dinner.

It is the fuel the mitochondria use to make ATP which creates energy.

The cheapest place I've found to buy it is either Swanson Vitamins or Vitacost - around $28 for 300 grams. If you buy it in the health food store it can be very pricey.

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks, I have the Jarrow and it is 200 grams, I thought that was a lot, is it.. I am suppose to take 1/2 teaspoon 4 times a day.. Is yours 300 grams?

Thanks so much I am having a hard day my emotions are running wild, lots of family problems plus a bad cfs day..

4. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'd like to add another question or two or three!!

Is there a difference, as far as the effect goes, in taking the powdered Ribose and taking it in capsule form?

Also, is there a taste to the powder, and how well does it "melt" in the liquid?
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've used both capsules and the bulk powder and they work the same. The powder has a slightly sweet taste and dissolves very well in liquid. I've also opened the capsules and they are slightly sweet too. It's just cheaper to buy as a powder, although for convenience it can be nice to have the capsules if you're away from home.