Rice Krispies Anyone??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suzy-Q, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Suzy-Q

Suzy-Q New Member

Hello All,

It seems to me that when I have pain in a particular joint, the joint snaps, krackles and pops more frequently than normal upon movement. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know what this is caused by? I was told not to worry about the noises that my joints make but since I have pain and the cracking is worse when I have the pain I am a little worried. The joints that are effected are my ankles (which are very painful and audible at the present time); my hips; my shoulders, and my neck. Anyone have any suggestions????

LOL,
    Suzy-Q
  2. Suzy-Q

Suzy-Q New Member

Hello All,

It seems to me that when I have pain in a particular joint, the joint snaps, krackles and pops more frequently than normal upon movement. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know what this is caused by? I was told not to worry about the noises that my joints make but since I have pain and the cracking is worse when I have the pain I am a little worried. The joints that are effected are my ankles (which are very painful and audible at the present time); my hips; my shoulders, and my neck. Anyone have any suggestions????

LOL,
    Suzy-Q
  3. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

It's frustrating when you feel something is wrong and you can't get answers. This is just a casual suggestion-hardly an alternative to a thorough checkup and sound medical advice.
    Check your diet to make sure you are getting enough calcium. The american diet can be pretty poor at times and people don't always get what they should. Some medications too may hamper calcium absorption so check them if you take anything. You need calcium (and a few other vitamins) for strong bones.
    You seem pretty young to worry about osteoporosis, so although you could have a bone density test done your doctor is not likely to feel you need one. I had one done, but I am in surgical menopause and bone loss could be a problem for me. I had the test done because I was told that if you get one early while your bones are still good you can then use this as a reference to chart any bone loss when it is compared to future scans.

4. inpain3

inpain3 New Member

first...do not try to be a burglar..they can hear you commin...second, pour a little milk on yourself, and listen to what those little elves are snap-crackle and popping about!
    seriously..i pop a lot too, it hurts at times, so i try to stay still...then i cramp....then i move n pop more..it is a never ending cycle with me...lemme know if you hear anything to help, so far...nothing on my end!
    Good luck!
    ip3
  5. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Suzy-Q,

I remember years ago when I was seeing a neurologist for my back woes and my husband mentioned to her about his noisy knees. She said that when they make that cracking or popping sound...it's a good thing.
    Now, over 10 years later his knees hurt and grind.
    He has advanced degenerative arthritis in both his hands, and I would suspect it is in his knees now too.
    He is only 46.

My knees grind when bending. They don't pop or crack. I have been recently dx with osteoarthritis in the knees and am seeing an orthopedic to discuss the x-rays this week.

Now something in my back will pop when I first bend over to stretch in the morning. Actually, it feels like something is going back into place and it doesn't hurt, it feels good.
    Like you, my ankles pop all the time. A funny story about popping ankles. When I was in the 6th grade and sitting at my desk, I would cross my legs and rotate my foot purposely making my ankle pop. The teacher came to my desk and asked if I would stop doing that, it could be distracting the class....go figure? It probably was getting on "his" nerves!

wishing you the best,
    granmama
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Yes,

I get cracking in my left knee and neck. I always wondered about it.

Ellen
  7. Nikki

Nikki Member

Just last week I was puzzled about crackling noises in my arm from wrist to elbow. I have tendonitis in both arms (no injury involved) and when my arms hurt really, really bad I wring them (go from side to side, up and down w/my hand). Not only could I feel the popping, crackling . . . I could hear it too.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2002]
  8. JP

JP New Member

Hi Suzy-Q

I know this one well. Joints crack and make noise for a number of reasons. There is the classic, air in knuckles pop and knees locking due to a piece of bone or cartilage getting stuck in the joint. Arthritic joints make noise with most movements due to a roughness on the surface of the joint. Also, ligaments and tendons can cause noise when sliding over bumps on bone. I have all of the above and have not been too worried about it for the most part. I can't seem to change the conditions or reduce the deterioration of my joints. Perhaps I am a bit caviler, and I don't mean to make light of the condition. I take arthritic medication and have had a knee repaired too. I got tired of the locking joint, pain and swelling over the years. I am a happy camper with the repair. I still have some noise in the joint and it no longer locks.

I hope you are able to get support and answers regarding your noisy joints. There is a reason for the noise in your joints.

Take care,
    Jan
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

The snap crackle pop is from little air pockets and is completely normal. You know how "mom" always hollered at us when we cracked our knuckles and claimed we'd get arthritis? It just ain't so!

Marilyn :)