Rice socks..........?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by silky17, Oct 23, 2005.

1. silky17

silky17 New Member

Would like to know how to make the rice socks. Can they be scented at all? I hate the smell when thay are heated. Any ideas?

Silky
  2. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

I made my own rice sock. I had a pair of knee socks that I didn't wear anymore (clean of course) and put the rice in it, tied it at the end and "wa-la", a rice sock. I used the other to make one for work, when I was still working, and had one in both places. It really is nice because it reaches all the way around the neck instead of just halfway. Also you can prop it on your shoulder if that's hurting too. I don't know about scenting them because I'm so sensitive to scents. I'd rather have the rice smell than something else.

Judy
  3. ThinkPostive

ThinkPostive New Member

Does it matter what type of rice is used? I am very interested in making one myself.

Thanks for the input,
    Cheri
  4. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Just don't use the instant rice. Use regular white uncooked rice. There are loads of "recipes" on the internet that you can pull up to make your own.

Several recommend flax seed or bird seed, another recommends deer corn.

I'm going to be making myself one today, and seeing how well it turns out. I may induct it into my craft ideas for the holidays!

Hope yours turns out well-hope BOTH of us do well!! :) PG
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I made three of these yesterday. I just used the cheapest store brand white rice I could find. Used some tube socks that my husband bought and didn't like. Pour in the rice and tie a knot. Easy.

I used different amounts of rice for each sock to get a different effect.

I also have a Bed Buddy and these homemade socks feel exactly the same. And way cheaper. And no blue handles at the ends to poke me.

I keep two rice socks in the freezer in ziploc bags to keep them from absorbing "freezer smell".

The others I will keep available to pop in the microwave.

You could probably put lavendar or some other herb in there for scent. Read some past posts on this, though. Some people have had problems with the herbs catching fire in the microwave!

Katy
  6. Megumi

Megumi New Member

My daughter put lavender leaves in with the rice to make a 'sock' for me. Actucally it is more like a pillow. I LOVE it. She's going to try doing one with rose petals, maybe even a bit of rose oil, next. I'll let you know how it works.
  7. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Is the freezer smell issue a fibro thing? My family thinks I'm nuts. I won't use ice cubes that have been in the freezer for any length of time. I also won't eat bread or many other foods frozen. I can smell freezer stink from a room away--yuk!

I have put lavender in my rice socks. You could also put rose petals or maybe breakup whole cinnamon and cloves. I think any herb or spice you like the smell. You also could use fruit peels that you allow to dry first. I agree - anything to get rid of "freezer stink"!
  8. silky17

silky17 New Member

I am going to try and make some of thses for christmas. Even people without fibro get aching muscles, right?

Thanks,
    Debbie
  9. Licorice

Licorice New Member

How long do you microwave a sock? On high power or what. Would like to try it.
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I put mine in the microwave for 2 minutes and it was almost too hot to put on my neck. I had to put a towel around my neck as a buffer.

I found 1 1/2 min to be just right. You will just have to experiment to see what is perfect with your microwave.

I want to experiment with the essential oils, too. How about vanilla or almond? Too bad there is no chocolate chip cookie essential oil!

Enjoy!
    Katy
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have used whole cloves inside, but it still has that rice smell after it has been microwaved. I rarely use heat or cold anymore. I just take a pain pill. I really rather use a regular heating pad if I need to use one at all.

Hugs,
    Faye
    Of course, it is portable and that makes the rice sock neat. Had a gel pillow at one time and I really loved that, but it broke after a few years. :([This Message was Edited on 10/25/2005]