Rice socks?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by toniad, Sep 12, 2002.

1. toniad

toniad New Member

I am a bit slow y'all, so please bare with me. I am curious to know what kind of rice, how long to heat it, and what kind of herbs can I add for more relief or calm? And, do I put it right on the painful spot? I know I sound ridiculously goofy here,but I never heard of this and want to try it.

Thanks and well wishes
    Tonia D.
  2. toniad

toniad New Member

I am a bit slow y'all, so please bare with me. I am curious to know what kind of rice, how long to heat it, and what kind of herbs can I add for more relief or calm? And, do I put it right on the painful spot? I know I sound ridiculously goofy here,but I never heard of this and want to try it.

Thanks and well wishes
    Tonia D.
  3. selma

selma New Member

Please put Rice socks in the search on top of page and look at Jackie F post.

Good luck. Love, Selma
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Do not be concerned about anyone thinking you are 'goofy'! We all asked these same questions when we first got on this board. So its your turn to ask, and our turn to answer you as someone answered us!

Alright, putting herbs in the rice socks is really a matter of choice. Some people like Lavender, others tyme,peppermint, myself I like Sweet Bayleaf leaves crushed. The smell is soothing, helps me breath and does not stuff up my sinus!

As the for the kind of rice, the cheapest will do just fine, the short grain is good. Just use it raw/uncooked.

How long in the microwave? That depends on your microwave, I put mine in for 2 to 3 minutes. That makes them pretty hot.

Where to put them? Right were the pain is! On the chest, hips, knees, elbows, great on the neck and shoulders. Anywhere you have the pain.

Heres another hint, if you have a headache, keep one in the freezer, they don't freeze like an ice pack, but they get good and cold, don't drip (like an ice pack), and are wonderful for a headache!

Also, if you have an earache, a warm rice sock is wonderful to lay on the achy ear.

I also use mine for a neckroll, it stops me from getting a stiff neck when I sleep. I don't heat this one, just use it as a pillow.

I had never heard of a rice sock when I first came here, Jackie mentioned them and explained how to make and use them. I have 6 always ready for use. I always keep two in the freezer, just in case I need a cold compress.

IF you have anymore questions, just ask, thats what we are here for. We will be glad to answer what we can. Pretty soon you will be helping the newbies just like we are helping you!

Have a great night!

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 09/12/2002]
  5. toniad

toniad New Member

Thanks or being so sweet Shirl and for explaining how to use the rice socks. I am anxious to use them! That gives me one more tool to fight the pain monster!!! I appreciate your helpful post!

Well wishes,
    Tonia D.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Never thought of corn! Sounds like a great idea too. Only problem with me, is I love popcorn and the smell would drive me crazy, I can't eat it anymore it chokes me!

But it should work great too.

Shalom, Shirl