rich have you seen this? regarding folic acid and NK cell function

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acer2000, Feb 21, 2009.

1. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I assume you have read everything on this topic, but I found it interesting:

http://www.psa-rising.com/blog/2005/12/unmetabolized-folic-acid-reduced-natural-killer-cell-cytotoxicity/

Basically it seems to say both too little and too much folic acid can have a detrimental effect on NK cell function - or that too much *unmetabolized* FA can have this effect. What do you think about this article, and have you seen NK cell function improve in people with the protocol you have been working on?

thanks
    A
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2009]
  2. garcia

garcia New Member

Thanks for that link A. It was very interesting.

I think either one of two things are going on. Either the unmetabolized FA is a marker for methylation cycle defects, or the excess FA is preventing the active forms of folate from being transported (since we know the various forms of folate compete with one another for transport). Be interested to hear which of these Rich thinks is going on.

garcia.
  3. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

4. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

5. daylight

daylight New Member

This is scary . I take 1200mgs a day (supplement ) . Been in a huge flare for the past 3 weeks.
    Sinus infection /brochial infection to boot along with the RA flare. It will be interesting to see if there is any more information out there on the subject. I know I first start taking it because I started mtx but I've since stop using the mtx however the FA seemed to be helping me .
    My hair has grown back . But in the last few months mid JAn-feb I've been very sick.

Hopefully I haven't been poisoning myself by accident.

D.
  6. daylight

daylight New Member

What is the health risk of too much folic acid?
    Folate intake from food is not associated with any health risk. The risk of toxicity from folic acid intake from supplements and/or fortified foods is also low [65]. It is a water soluble vitamin, so any excess intake is usually excreted in urine. There is some evidence that high levels of folic acid can provoke seizures in patients taking anti-convulsant medications [1]. Anyone taking such medications should consult with a medical doctor before taking a folic acid supplement.

The Institute of Medicine has established a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for folate from fortified foods or supplements (i.e. folic acid) for ages one and above. Intakes above this level increase the risk of adverse health effects. In adults, supplemental folic acid should not exceed the UL to prevent folic acid from triggering symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency [10]. It is important to recognize that the UL refers to the amount of synthetic folate (i.e. folic acid) being consumed per day from fortified foods and/or supplements. There is no health risk, and no UL, for natural sources of folate found in food. Table 4 lists the Upper Intake Levels (UL) for folate, in micrograms (?g), for children and adults.

Table 4: Tolerable Upper Intake Levels for Folate for Children and Adults [10]
    (?g/day) Pregnancy
    (?g/day) Lactation
    (?g/day)
    1-3 300 N/A N/A
    4-8 400 N/A N/A
    9-13 600 N/A N/A
    14-18 800 800 800
    19 + 1000 1000 1000

------------------------------------------------

This makes me so angry. I have problem with siezures and my doctor told me that it was safe to take as much as 1400mgs of folic.

Thank you so much for posting this. This explains a lot.

D.

[This Message was Edited on 02/23/2009]
  7. daylight

daylight New Member

I think that I'll just be cutting down to 800mgs a day to be safe.
  8. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

The article I posted just had to do with NK cell function. It didn't say anything about overt toxicity or seizures. NK cell function is of prime interest, since it seems to be one of the things that doesn't work well in CFS, and if the methylation treatment is to work, I'd expect that it would correct this.
  9. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

10. daylight

daylight New Member

At the end of the article there is a link that i clicked on thats were I got this info.
    However last night I acted to emotionally to the subject. I don't really know why. Sorry, not been myself the last few days.
    it is an interesting article.

This is the link I was read this from.http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/folate.asp[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2009]
  11. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I didn't go to that site mentioned in the article.. Didn't mean to call you out... just was focused on the NK cell effects. It seems like one can have more than one problem with overdoing the folic acid... Good catch.

From the article:

What is the health risk of too much folic acid?

Folate intake from food is not associated with any health risk. The risk of toxicity from folic acid intake from supplements and/or fortified foods is also low [65]. It is a water soluble vitamin, so any excess intake is usually excreted in urine. There is some evidence that high levels of folic acid can provoke seizures in patients taking anti-convulsant medications [1]. Anyone taking such medications should consult with a medical doctor before taking a folic acid supplement.

The Institute of Medicine has established a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for folate from fortified foods or supplements (i.e. folic acid) for ages one and above. Intakes above this level increase the risk of adverse health effects. In adults, supplemental folic acid should not exceed the UL to prevent folic acid from triggering symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency [10]. It is important to recognize that the UL refers to the amount of synthetic folate (i.e. folic acid) being consumed per day from fortified foods and/or supplements. There is no health risk, and no UL, for natural sources of folate found in food. Table 4 lists the Upper Intake Levels (UL) for folate, in micrograms (?g), for children and adults.

Table 4: Tolerable Upper Intake Levels for Folate for Children and Adults [10]
    (?g/day) Pregnancy
    (?g/day) Lactation
    (?g/day)
    1-3 300 N/A N/A
    4-8 400 N/A N/A
    9-13 600 N/A N/A
    14-18 800 800 800
    19 + 1000 1000 1000

[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2009]
  12. romalaw

romalaw Member

Hi arosenbl0 I can't remember if I mentioned to you over lunch in Ann Arbor that Dr. B had tested me for a genetic marker for a defect in metabolizing folic acid which showed I had the marker. He put me on a specially compounded dmg. At first I was very skeptical, as I've found just a few supplements that make any difference for me. To my surprise though, this supplement has helped me with energy, brain fog and just an overall feeling of wellness.

13. deliarose

deliarose New Member

are you talking about folapro, or DMG?

Did he run the labcorp test for MTHFR C677T or A1298C?>

it would help others if you could be specific.. otherwise we can't learn from your experience.

[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2009]
  14. romalaw

romalaw Member

It was a DMG that his office formulated. It contains

50 mg B2
    800 mcg folinic acid as calcium folinate
    6 mcg B12 methylcobalamin
    150 mg DMG HC1
    50 mg choline as choline bitartrate

I take 2 capusles 3xs a day

I am not at home right now so don't have access to my records but when I return I'll look it up and let you know what the test was. He said the problem with the test is it could not indicate to what extent my ability to metabolize folic acid was compromised.

I have taken regular DMG many times before but it didn't seem to do anything.
  15. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Thats interesting. That seems almost like a "short methylation protocol" in a pill. It would be interesting to see what Rich has to say about this. Perhaps I'll post it over on yahoo Yasko-CFS or whatever its called.
  16. quamijay

quamijay New Member

17. quamijay

quamijay New Member

18. quamijay

quamijay New Member