Rich - question re mercury detox & folate deficiency

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, May 26, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Rich - Do you know of any reason why doing a mercury detox, using dmsa for chelation, could cause or exacerbate a folate deficiency? That seems to be what has happened to me (you can see my other post on this where I describe it in more detail). Although I've been taking Solgar metafolin for over a year faithfully as well as B12, after two rounds of dmsa chelation I developed a very marked folate deficiency.

Since folate is an integral part of the methylation protocol, and I know heavy metals can cause a blockage in methylation, I'm just wondering how the detox for heavy metals could cause a folate deficiency.

I'm assuming the dmsa either pulled the folate out of my body, or greatly increased my need for it.

Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide -

2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Mary.

Not sure, but I'll make a guess:

I'm going to assume that the DMSA chelation was effective, and that it pulled mercury out of your body. Mercury is known to block quite a few enzymes that have sulfhydryl groups in their structure, because mercury bonds well to sulfur.
    So removing mercury would likely have increased the activity of several enzymes, particularly some in the sulfur metabolism, which includes the methylation cycle and glutathione. Since the folate metabolism is linked to the methylation cycle by the methionine synthase reaction, I'm guessing that increasing the enzyme activities caused an increased demand for folate.

The fact that you also had a greater need for potassium indicates that your body was making new cells rapidly. One of the limiting factors on making new cells is the synthesis of new DNA and RNA. Folate is critically needed for making both.

So my guess is that by removing mercury, you took the handcuffs off several enzymes, and your body started making up for lost time, which produced bigger demands for both folate and postassium.

Best regards,

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I really appreciate your feedback. I hope that's what's happening. Unfortunately I am still crashing, this detox is going to take awhile I think. I've had to put it on hold now because am going out of town for a week, but then will restart.

I do feel fortunate to have tracked down the source of my appetitie loss and fatigue after chelation - I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to continue with it, but believe I will now with the added folate and potassium.

Best wishes,