Rich Van K. not able to be on internet much for a few weeks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by richvank, Oct 18, 2010.

1. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

I'm away from home helping my son and his wife to work on a house for a few weeks, so can't be on the internet much for a while.

Please refer to my more recent papers at www dot cfsresearch dot org if you have questions.
    They may be covered there.

I'll be back when I can.

Best regards,

2. karkel

karkel New Member

Are you someone that knows alot about Fibro ? I have so many questions to ask.
  3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, karkel.

Sorry, I don't know any more about fibro than is in the medical literature. I think the truth is that so far nobody knows much about it, other than it seems to be associated with a higher than normal sensitivity to pain, so that what would be a small stimulus to normal, healthy people causes a sensation of pain in people who have fibro.

I specialize in research on CFS. Many people satisfy the diagnostic criteria for both CFS and fibromyalgia, but we don't know how they are related.

The rheumatologists have proposed revising the diagnostic criteria for fibro, and the proposed criteria are moving closer to CFS. They include fatigue and cognition problems in addition to pain. But I think they should be viewed as separate disorders, because there are some people with pain but not fatigue, and the actually benefit from exercise. I would call this "pure fibro."
    There are other people who have fatigue (including post-exertional fatigue), and cognition problems, but no pain, and they cannot tolerate exercise. I would call this "pure CFS."
    But really, there is just a lot that is not yet known about the relationship between CFS and fibro.

Sorry, I wish I could give you a more satisfying answer.

Best regards,