Richard Deth Ph.D.: Methylation and Dopamine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, May 25, 2008.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Here is a Wikipedia article about a professor from Northeastern University who is doing some interesting work.

I have long thought that my "stuck" and "frozen" feelings (mental and physical) seemed like they should be related to dopamine. Now it turns out maybe they are.

Professor Deth's book is called "Molecular Origins of Human Attention: The Dopamine-Folate Connection" and was written in 2003.

I can't believe I'd never heard of this work before today. So despite the fact that the book is $200, I went ahead and ordered a copy. (I figure I will get my friend who sells books on Amazon to dispose of it for me after I get totally well, which seems increasingly like it will be very soon.)

Anyway, it would be good to discuss this line of thought with someone. Please let me know if you're interested!

NOTE: Wikipedia is a NOT-FOR-PROFIT site and not a support group. This link is so that people here can become more educated about their illnesses so that hopefully they can become better.

2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Wow! This sounds SO appropriate for us!

I will have to go read that article as soon as I have the time/energy. I wonder what Rich thinks about it.

3. cct

cct Member

I have to agree with Forebearance . . . . . W0W! ! !

The brain-chemistry/neurotoxin question has always been a great big unanswered qestion that I have had for many years.

Now you have connected it to the methylation process.

This is very very interesting.

Thanks for posting this information about Prof. Deth's work in neurodevelpmental toxins.

4. naleber

naleber New Member

read some of my past posts in regards to methylation and the dopamine's Pfeiffer's work.
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Manganese is needed to activate dopamine.
  6. jenbooks13

jenbooks13 New Member

I think he is a brilliant brilliant man.

To summarize just one small point, there is an allele of the dopamine receptor that tends to encode for greater tolerance for novelty and perhaps ADHD. It may have spread as we migrated out of Africa, as it would have made us more fit for migrating and starting new lives. It also may render you more vulnerable to oxidative stress because of the overcrowding of methyl groups, if I recall. I think its d4 or d7. It was very complicated biochemistry that had to do with docking sites and methylB12 and methionine synthase and so on. I'm sure if you study his material you will understand it. If you want to email me privately I can send you some notes I have. This conversation took place about 2 years ago.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2008]
  7. Salix

Salix New Member

For anyone interested in the book, at the moment amazon uk secondhand sellers have copies from £50. A while back I picked up a new one there with damaged corners for £12, so maybe someone else will get lucky too.

Btw it's definitely one for the days when the brain is on form. In my case anyway. And if I remember right it's something that's been dicussed on Ch3. There's a French guy following Yasko, who I think was so impressed by it that it informed his Phd research area. It would be interesting to see how he's getting on with it.

8. SGR

SGR New Member

For you science types there is a presentation by Dr. Deth at this conference. It's got a lot of lovely pictures I'm sure many of you will understand.