RichSudden allergy to peanuts....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by restauranthell, Jun 27, 2008.

1. restauranthell

restauranthell New Member

Since starting the methylation protocol, I had increased sensitivity to aspartame, which you explained to me.
    Now yesterday I have a bad reaction to eating two organic energy bars with peanuts. I think there are about six ingredients total.In the past two weeks I had noticed a slight swelling in my throat. I dismissed it as swollen glands. I often eat bars with peanuts as a snack. I have never had an issue with peanuts previously.

I started to swell up and kept calm. It never got to the life threatening point. I saw my local Dr. this am and got an epipen.
    I have an appointment with an allergist on Monday am.

Any thoughts Rich? Is the protocol making the immune system wake up? Or is it just unrelated coincidence?
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I don't have a theory on this and will be interested in what Rich has to say.

I will note that peanuts are almost invariably loaded with aflatoxins (a toxic substance made by mold). Only corn seems to be as universally contaminated with it.

Unfortunately, we don't know the connection between methylation detoxification and biotoxins (such as aflatoxins).

It does seem clear that exposure to mycotoxins (mold poison) causes some other things associated with multiple chemical sensitivity to become more problematic. It's not like biotoxins are all over in a corner by themselves, and have nothing whatsoever to do with any other toxins at all.

The reactions that I get to small amounts of mold poison now that I've avoiding it are anaphylactic-type, not ordinary allergy.

restauranthell, out of curiosity, when did you start the methylation supplements?

This is kind of interesting....
  3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, restauranthell.

I'm sorry to hear about your allergic response to the peanut-containing organic energy bars, but glad that it did not become life-threatening, and that you are getting help from your doctors, including an epipen.

I don't know what caused this, and I guess I have the same questions you do about it:

1. Is it associated with being on the methylation cycle treatment? It's true that allergies are an inappropriate immune response, and it's true that the methylation cycle treatment does boost the immune system. There was one person who reported an exacerbation of her previous autoimmune disorders when she went on this treatment, and I have heard of increased seasonal inhalational allergies on this treatment, but I haven't heard of throat swelling.

2. What ingredient in the energy bars is responsible? Is it the peanuts? Is it aflatoxin, which Lisa mentioned as a possibility? Both have been observed to cause problems. Maybe the allergist will be able to shed light on this.

I wish I could tell you what was going on there, but I don't know. I'll be interested to hear what the allergist says.

4. restauranthell

I started about four weeks ago, give or take a day or two.
  5. restauranthell

I will post what the allergist had to say asap.

Here are the two bars ingredients.
    Bumble Bar Original Flavor-Seasame Seeds,Brown Rice Syrup,Flaxseed,Evaporated Cane Juice, Peanuts,vanilla,cinammon,sea salt,vitamin E

Bumble Bar Lemon Bar-some of the above ingredients and all of the following. Brown Rice Soy Crisp, lemon oil, canola oil, turmeric and tocopheral

All ingredients are supposedly organic.

Thank you.