RichVanK, Methylation and Allergies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Rich. I know you can't give medical advice but I'm just wondering whether you have seen an increase in allergies in people on the MCP?

I have lived in SW FL for 11 years now and have had few allergies like the ones which bothered me when I lived in CO. This spring, and presently, I am suffering from allergies and feel quite run down. I finally took my Aycyclvir and Doxycycline, which I keep on hand to try to prevent a reactivation of my mycoplasma infection and any Herpes-Family infection which may be dormant in my body. I am Herxing quite severely today and believe something is dying off in large quantities.

As a sidenote, a lot of people are suffering allergies now who never usually have a problem. The mold, weeds, and trees have been elevated but not to the point that would explain such allergic reactions. Another sidenote: My immune function seems to be better tuned than before the MCP. I have been exposed to quite a few viruses since working with the public. I notice the exposure in my body but it seems my immune system goes right after whatever is making people sick. Before the MCP, I might have been sick for a week or two.

Obviously, I have suspended the MCP supps until this Herxing, or Herx-like reaction, is over. There is only so much purging a body can take :)

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

3. restauranthell

restauranthell New Member

I also have had an increase in allergies on the MCP.
    Several theories can be found on the net.
    I have no idea if this one is valid on not. Perhaps someone else could chime in.
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

your name makes me think of that 70s commercial :)
    but hey thats not why I am writing, nor about the allergy thing because I havent been fully doing the simplified yet
    BUT I was just curious about what you said about fla vs CO and allergies.
    I kind of like the weather better in CO than fla, except Jan. in boca was nice when my bro lived there, but anyway, i am trying to find the "perfect" state to move to, moderate temps, low allergens, low taxes that sorta thing.
    I would think with the hot weather and foliage that fla would have a lot of allergens?
  5. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Mikie,

I was just reading this afternoon about baking soda, and how it can be so helpful addressing excess acids in the body. After seeing your post, I went back to what I read, as I thought I'd remembered the article mentioning a connection between acidic conditions and allergies.

I wonder if the detoxification initiated by the MCB supplements creates an more acidic condition in the body (at least temporarily) which then leads to an increase in allergic reactions. Just a thought. I'll paste three short paragraphs below where they seem to mention the connection.

Best, Wayne

AlkaSeltzer Gold™ is simply a very safe product (sodium and potassium bicarbonate) that helps to neutralize excess acids of any kind.

One mother wrote, “It worked so well for both of my children that the die-off was an uneventful experience, even though they both had very high levels of yeast.” The restoring of acid/alkaline balance also relieves many allergies.

In the early stages of acidic pH in the body’s tissues, the warning symptoms are mild. These include such things as skin eruptions, headaches, allergies, colds, flu and sinus problems.
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Mikie.

I'm sorry to hear that allergies are plaguing you.

No, I don't think I've heard from very many on the methylation cycle block treatment that their allergies have become worse. Note that restauranthell just reported it, though, so I'll pay attention to see if others do, too.

Dr. Cheney has told me that allergies are more prevalent in CFS. Evidence in the literature suggests that when allergy testing is done, they aren't more prevalent in PWCs than in the general population. What I suspect is that when a PWC has an allergic reaction, their histamine rises higher and stays up longer, because methylation is required for two of the pathways for metabolizing histamine, and methylation capacity is low in CFS because of the partial block in the methylation cycle. This makes the allergic reactions more intense, and whereas before having CFS the person may not have reacted very much to a particular exposure, when they have CFS, they react much more strongly. This is an unproven hypothesis, but I think it would fit.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rich, thank you for your explanation. We are now getting soaked with rains for days on end and my allergies are much better. I suspect that they rains have cleansed the air of pollens and dry mold spores. It will be interesting to see what happens when the rain lets up a bit. As I mentioned, I'm not the only one suffering down here. People are complaining at the store and buying OTC allergy meds in record numbers. Thanks again.

Restauranthell, thanks for the URL. I'll check it out. Hope your allergies clear up.

Simon, over the years on this board, we have had people ask the question regarding the best place to live to feel the best. The only thing I can say is that one person's paradise is another's hell, based on the many responses over time. It depends on where one lives in CO. I grew up along the foothills and the grass pollen made me sick as a dog every spring. When I moved to Denver, I no longer had the allergy to that particular kind of grass (it evidently only grows right up against the foothills). In the Denver/Boulder Metro Area, there are temperature inversions, mainly in Jan., Feb., and Mar. It causes the pollution to back up against the mountains and not be able to escape upward. There is so much smog that the particulate matter makes everyone sick. The air is very thin at that altitude (they don't call it the Mile High City for nothin'. That makes any particulates more dangerous than at lower altitudes. Finally, the air is very dry, which can irritate the sinuses, bronchial tubes, throat, and lungs. Sinusitus, strep throat, bronchitis, and even pneumonia run rampant those three months. Even though it wasn't allergies, per se, which made me so sick every year, the polluted air did and I just couldn't take it any more. I love the humid air in FL but not everyone does. I have seldom had allergies here, even though I am allergic to mold. I keep the A/C running when it's humid to reduce the risk of mold in my condo. Wish I could give you "the" definitive answer as to which area is best for us but it just depends on the individual.

Livvy, I'm so sorry you are bothered so much with your allergies. Now that my own allergies are bad, I've noticed our customers' perfume and the dryer sheets bothering me more. One of our young guys at the store got some make cologne on closeout and I think he is bathing in it. Aack! I remember about the Doxy. I'm so sorry. My Herx from it is just winding up today. This was a bad one but I'm glad I did a course of it as the mycoplasmas may have been trying to make a comeback. I'm hoping that once the MCP supps help me to further heal, I won't need the Doxy. Still, it's good to have on hand as I can't let the mycos ever take over my bod again. Have you tried any other ABX? I'm sorry but I can't remember.

Wayne, thanks for the info. It's certainly worth a try. I wonder whether Tums would work.

Again, everyone, thank you soooo much for your interest and responses. As always, I keep us all in my prayers for healing.

Love, Mikie

8. Salix

Salix New Member

Thought I'd mention that within 2-3 weeks of starting Yasko step 1 I developed an allergy to all my metal jewellery apart from my platinum wedding ring.

After a couple days of using b12 transdermally (no additives) I had inflamation to this, which then also occured in my throat. I've read cross allergy to nickel and cobalt is not uncommon so perhaps there's a link between jewellery and b12??

I also developed inflammatory response on contact with practically every plant in the garden. I now have to garden with everything except my face covered. Good for increasing sweat production at least.

After about 2 weeks using RNAs I developed systemic inflammatory response, even 1 drop in water and applied to my hand gives pretty severe inflammation, burning etc.

I was never previously prone to this sort of inflammatory thing...or at least didn't notice. Loads of other previously reactions, probably metabolic or pathogen related, just not this sort of inflammation.

[This Message was Edited on 07/16/2008]
  9. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I've noticed a lot of sniffles, sneezing, runny nose type reactions off and on.. since starting this protocol.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have noticed that my allergies have decreased for the last two days as we continue with unrelenting rain. It must be cleansing the air. Still, I have to wonder why my allergic response has been so strong this year. Maybe it's just coincidental, especially considering that others in this area are struggling with increased allergic reactions too.

I hope others will see this and give more feedback for Rich.

Love, Mikie