richvank - methylation panels ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by labrat, Feb 20, 2009.

1. labrat

labrat New Member

I have a question about the methylation pathways panel you recommended from Vitamin Diagnostics. Is this panel the same as the 30 SNP panel including Methylation Pathways Analysis offered by Holistic Health for $625? The reason I ask is that my dr's office looked up methylation panels and they found one for $625 that they said they could run. My dr might not want to run the Vit Diag one because they require he set up an account and send his licensing information to them to do this. I think they'd be willing to do the other one for me though. So if you are familiar with these tests could you explain the difference to me?

I remember I met you at the CFS mtg in Madison, Wisconsin in 2004 when I first got sick and you recommended the oxidized glutathione test from Great Smokies Lab back then. I didn't get it done though. Never had a doctor willing to test much for CFS. Do you know if patients will get to see the poster presentations and/or abstracts at the CFS mtg in Reno next month? I just signed up for the pt mtg part.

Thank you,
    Tracy
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Tracy.

It's good to hear from you again!

The Vitamin Diagnostics, Inc., "Methylation Pathways Panel" is different from Dr. Amy Yasko's
    "Comprehensive Methylation Panel with Methylation Pathway Analysis," which is available from www dot holisticheal dot com. It's unfortunate that their names are so similar, because it's confusing to many people.

The Vitamin Diagnostics panel is a biochemical panel that measures metabolites in the methylation cycle, the folate metabolism, and the glutathione system. Dr. Yasko's panel is a genomic panel, which characterizes polymorphisms in genes that code for several of the enzymes that are associated with the methylation cycle.

I recommend getting the Vitamin Diagnostics panel for anyone with CFS who wants to determine whether they have a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion, and who wants to determine baseline values for the metabolites involved, for comparison later, to determine progress on the treatment of these abnormalities. This panel is helpful for people who plan to do the full Yasko treatment or the simplified treatment approach that was extracted from it. It costs $300.

Dr. Yasko recommends her genomic panel for anyone who plans to use her full treatment program, because decisions about which parts of it to use are based on the polymorphisms the person has. It costs $625 with the interpretive information she includes with the results.

Since the Vitamin Diagnostics panel has become available, I have been recommending it for glutathione measurement, because it measures both reduced and oxidized glutathione in the blood plasma, which better reflects what is going on in tissue cells.

I believe that the poster papers will be on display for the entire conference. At least, that's how it has been done at past conferences. So they should be accessible to anyone who wants to see them. I'm planning to arrive on Thursday, and I will put mine up as soon as I find out where it goes. I hope to see you there.

Rich
  3. labrat

labrat New Member

Thanks for answering my questions. I'll look for your poster at the mtg.

Tracy
  4. labrat

labrat New Member

My doctors aren't willing to do the Vitamin Diagnostics Methylation Pathways Panel, but the ND that I've seen has an account with Genova Diagnostics and could do their Oxidative Stress Panel or another test from Genova. Would any of these tests give equivalent information to the Vitamin Daignostics test? The Oxidative Stress Panel measures reduced glutathione, glutathione peroxidase, SOD and some other things after asprin and acetaminophen challenge. My dr recommended the detox panel or the oxidative stress panel.

Or my dr would be able do the genomic panel from Holistic health, but I don't want to commit to the complete Yasko protocol. There isn't really any info about what methylation pathways data you get from this test on the website, so I'm not sure the data would be helpful.

Any recommendations?

Tracy
  5. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Tracy.

If the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel is not a possibility for you, the next best one to get is the Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile. It's a urine organic acids test, and if you turn out to have high methylmalonate and Figlu on it, that is a pretty good indication that you have a partial methylation cycle block. Also, if you have low pyroglutamate as well as elevated citrate but low alpha ketoglutarate, those are pretty good indicators for glutathione depletion. These are indirect indicators, and not as definitive as the Vitamin Diagnostics panel, but they can still give you a pretty good idea about whether these problems are present.

Genova's tests really don't measure reduced glutathione at the level it occurs in the body. They first chemically reduce all the glutathione in the sample, and then measure it. So technically they are measuring reduced glutathione, but they did the reducing themselves. In order to measure the reduced glutathione level in the body, you have to use enzyme inhibitors in the sample tube, in order to prevent glutathione from oxidizing during shipping and storage. Vitamin Diagnostics does that.

Rich
  6. labrat

labrat New Member

Thanks Rich for replying. I'll see if I can get that one done then.

Tracy