Richvank? No B6 or Calcium???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by frango2, Jul 22, 2008.

1. frango2

frango2 New Member

I just saw the post about contraindications with the Methylation protocol. I am taking B6 and Calcium so I thought I should check with you. I do not take the neurological health formula.

Could you post all the things that are contraindicated? I am on a ton of supplements, some for Lyme, some due to deficiencies. I don't want to spontaneously combust. :)

Thanks again for all you do to help people trying to get better.

The way you conduct yourself with such a helpful, positive attitude, in spite of some of what goes on here at this site speaks volumes about who you are as a person. You are a true class act and I am thankful that you are trying to help those of us who have basically lost our lives to this illness.
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, frango2.

Thanks for saying all those nice things! You've given me a lot to try to live up to!

O.K., I had better go over the "contraindications" more carefully. Let me repeat again that this treatment should be undertaked only with the cooperation and supervision of a licensed physician.

When this treatment approach is used together with prescription medications, a licensed physician must be consulted before discontinuing any prescription medications. Some of them can cause very serious withdrawal symptoms if stopped too abruptly.

If this treatment approach is begun by a PWC who is taking a thyroid hormone supplement for a hypothyroid condition, the PWC and the supervising physician should be alert to the possibility that HYPERthyroid symptoms, such as palpitations and sweats, can occur, even very soon after starting this treatment. The physician should be consulted about possibly adjusting or eliminating the thyroid hormone supplementation if this occurs.

SAMe--Some people benefit by adding this, and some can't tolerate it. It was initially in the simplified treatment, but I took it out because it caused problems for quite a few people. Since SAMe can impact levels of neurotransmitters, anyone on antidepressants should check with their doctors before adding it.

Folic acid and other folates--Based on Dr. Yasko's recommendation, I would not recommend taking additional folates beyond what is suggested in the simplified treatment, since the various forms of folate compete with each other for absorption, and it is important to get enough of the active forms into the body. Also, it is important not to take too much active folate, because this can cause the detox to develop a momentum, so that it will take some time to slow it down if you want to do that.

Trimethylglycine (betaine)--Based on Dr. Yasko's advice, I would also not recommend taking additional trimethylglycine (betaine) or additional forms of choline, such as phosphatidylcholine or lecithin, since that may stimulate the BHMT pathway too much at the expense of the methionine synthase pathway. The betaine-HCl used to augment stomach acid is something that may have to be omitted while doing this treatment, too, since it will contribute to this stimulation.

Glutathione support--Adding glutathione support helps some people, while others cannot tolerate it.

Molybdenum--This can help for effects of elevated levels of sulfite, including headaches.

Vitamin B6--Some B6 is necessary for a variety of reactions in the body, but Dr. Yasko believes that very large amounts may cause the transsulfuration pathway to go too fast in people who have a genetically upregulated CBS enzyme. I'm not sure what the optimum amount is, but PWCs are often low in B6, and they need it to process amino acids for fuel, among many other things.

Calcium--Dr. Yasko favors limiting this in autistic children, particularly, because it can contribute to excitotoxicity. For adults, especially women, I don't favor limiting it very much, because of the vulnerability to developing osteoporosis.

Iron--There is no iron in Dr. Yasko's multi, because she does not want to encourage the Fenton reaction, which will increase oxidative stress. This is probably appropriate for children with autism. In adult women, however, I think it is important to keep an eye on the ferritin level and increase the intake of iron if it goes too low, because of their vulnerability to developing iron deficiency anemia.

Copper--Dr. Yasko also minimizes this, I think because it may promote the Fenton reaction. I would suggest testing for urine essential minerals periodically and adding some if needed, because this is an essential element.

Zinc--This is important for many reactions, so I would again suggest monitoring it with the urine essential elements test and adding more if it is low.

MSG and other additives and foods containing high glutamate--These should be avoided because they can promote excitotoxicity.

Aspartate (such as in diet soda and other processed foods with aspartame)--These should be avoided, because they also can promote excitotoxicity.

Glutamine--I think this depends on the individual. Some people convert this to glutamate rapidly, and that can encourage excitotoxicity. Other people get benefit from glutamine for their gut and their immune system, particularly.

Trans fats--It's a good idea for all people to avoid these.

Simple carbohydrates--These are the sugars and white starchy foods. Most PWCs aren't able to use these for fuel very well, and tend to store them in the form of fat, gaining weight, so I generally suggest minimizing them.

Fats--Some omega-3 and some omega-6 are helpful to build damaged lipid membranes. Saturated fats are not burned well by many PWCs, and tend to be stored as body fat, promoting weight gain.

Protein--Dr. Yasko recommends limiting protein for children who have CBS upregulating SNPs. I don't think this is a good idea for adults with CFS, because protein is their main fuel. They are not able to use carbs and fats for fuel very well. A couple of PWCs who lowered their protein intake went very low in their amino acids levels, which is not helpful.

As more things are added, one is moving toward the full Yasko approach, which is more complicated and expensive. If this is done, I recommend that it be done with the guidance of Dr. Yasko and under the supervision of a personal physician, keeping the above guidelines in mind. The simplified treatment approach appears to work well by itself for many PWCs, but others may find that the die-off and detox (or even adverse effects) from this approach used by itself are too severe. In those cases, the PWCs could consult “The Puzzle of Autism,” sold on, to consider together with their doctors what else discussed there might help them. If the simplified approach seems to help to some degree, and it captures one’s attention for that reason, but it still either does not accomplish all that is desired, or it is not tolerated, then perhaps the next step would be to consider the full Yasko treatment. At least then there would be stronger motivation to look into it. Otherwise, it can appear very daunting to many PWCs.

3. frango2

frango2 New Member

Once again, this is very helpful.
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

For what it's worth, frango2, I take a small amount of B6 and tons of calcium.

I need to take the calcium in order to be able to sleep, and the B6 to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. I didn't alter these supplements when I began the MCB supplements, and it seems like it's been fine.