Richvank question on methylation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Danielle, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hello,

I have had fibromyalgia for 10 years. I've seriously been considering the methylation treatment. However, I looked back on a test I had in 2005. It was a B12 and Folate test which were at normal levels (b12 was 465, folate was 9.0).

Would this indicate at all that the treatment would probably not work for me? Should I have a test done for glutathione?

I became ill while living in a trailer that became full of mold near the bathroom and closet areas. what I seem to notice is that I cannot eat items containing sugar anymore or I become very ill. This includes any dairy, fruit, or food containing sugar.

I know that sounds like yeast overgrowth which I've heard can be a result of mold exposure. I'm just not sure if the methylation would help me, or if I should have a specific test done. What do you think?

Danielle

2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, danielle.

Since you know that mold was a factor in the onset of your illness, I would suggest that you take Dr. Shoemaker's visual contrast sensitivity test. You can do this on your computer by going to www.chronicneurotoxins.com. Click on
    "register" in the upper left corner, and then order the test. It will cost $15 on a credit card. If you come out positive on this test, then I would suggest looking into Dr. Shoemaker's treatment for mold illness. There has been quite a bit of discussion about it on this board lately. He has written a book called Mold Warriors that describes his approach.

It is possible that you also have glutathione depletion and a methylation cycle block, and there is a test panel for that, which costs $300. I would suggest looking into the mold illness possibility first, in view of your history, but you could also get the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation panel run. It requires a doctor's (or chiropracter's) order. Here's the contact information:

Vitamin Diagnostics, Inc.
    Rt. 35 & Industrial Drive
    Cliffwood Beach, NJ 07735
    USA
    Phone:+1 (732) 583-7773
    Fax: +1 (732) 583-7774)

The best approach is to ask your doctor to fax an order for the test, and have them mail the kit for collecting the blood samples to your address. If your doctor wants help in interpreting the test results, he/she can phone the lab director, Dr. Tapan Audhya, who is willing to help doctors by phone. He is usually at the lab on Tues. and Wed. afternoons from 1 to 3 pm, EST.

As far as the conventional tests for B12 and folate are concerned, the problem is that they don't measure the bioactive forms of these vitamins. They can come out normal or even high in people who have a methylation cycle block, because these people are not able to make effective use of their B12 and folate. It's better to measure urine methylmalonate for B12 and urine forminoglutatamate (figlu) for folate, for example on the Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile, which is a urine organic acids test. If these both come out high, it's likely that there is a methylation cycle block.

Best regards,

Rich

3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I suggest the book "Surviving Toxic Black Mold Syndrome" by Mary Beth Short-Ray. She is an osteopath who suffered mold poisoning herself, and now has a practice devoted to it.

Dr. Shoemaker is by far the leader in the field. "Mold Warriors" takes forever to read though.

Dr. Short-Ray's book is quite concise but comprehensive. She is familiar with Shoemaker's work and describes it properly.

I wish I could get everyone with CFS to read this book. People have the potential of getting so much better when addressing mold properly that it's worth looking into it.
  4. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Thank you so much for responding. I actually had taken Dr. Shoemakers visual test a couple years ago and tested positive. I've also been considering going on the questran protocal. This helps in my decision where to start first.

I also would like to check to see if I have a methylation block before I take the vitamins so I'll have those tests run too.

Could the mold problem have caused a blockage? I did recover some after I moved into a new house, but am no where near the person I was before all of this. So would the mold just keep producing toxins indefinately?

Slayadragon,

I'll look into that book. I have always had major problems when exposed to mold. My son and I used to get kind of sick after staying in a rented beach home that smelled very musty. It was closed up for long periods of time.

I didn't realize how much mold was in the trailer I had lived in. When we moved we noticed it all over the closet floor. I used to get very bad asthma attacks while living there. I no longer get them.

Danielle
  5. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, danielle.

"Thank you so much for responding. I actually had taken Dr. Shoemakers visual test a couple years ago and tested positive. I've also been considering going on the questran protocal. This helps in my decision where to start first."

***You're welcome. Generally speaking, if mold illness is present, as indicated by a positive VCS test, I think it should be one of the first things to deal with.

"I also would like to check to see if I have a methylation block before I take the vitamins so I'll have those tests run too."

***O.K. It will be interesting to see how it comes out.

"Could the mold problem have caused a blockage?"

***I think this is an excellent question, but one to which I don't know the answer yet. I suspect that the answer is yes. There are a couple of papers in the literature, by the same lead author, that suggest that mold toxins may react with vitamin B12, but there is no proof of that yet. If they do, I think they could bring on a methylation cycle block.

"I did recover some after I moved into a new house, but am no where near the person I was before all of this. So would the mold just keep producing toxins indefinately?"

***If you aren't exposed to mold or to an invironment in which mold spores are found, then you will have only the mold toxins that are already in your body. If your immune system cannot detect them, because of certain inherited types of HLA DR genes, the toxins can keep circulating in your body, according to Dr. Shoemaker.

***Best regards,

***Rich
  6. Danielle

Danielle New Member

I'll see what my doctor can do regarding the tests and protocal for the mold first to see if that helps.

Thank you