Rifampin side effect

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by smhaws, Nov 9, 2008.

1. smhaws

smhaws New Member

I've got a weird question about Rifampin. (I'm taking it for a co-infection with bartonella.) Has anyone else on this drug developed a super-strong sense of smell? This is driving me crazy and I'm not sure if I can blame the Rifampin or not...
  2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I took Rifampin for Bartonella for about 6 months. The only side effect that I had was orange pee. My sense of smell is hyper accute due to MCS issues. I didn't notice any changes with my sense of smell.

A close friend of mine says she lost her sense of smell when she contracted Lyme. All I can suggest is checking other boards to find more Lyme patients on Rifampin. The Lyme board here isn't very active.

Have you Googled this?
  3. smhaws

smhaws New Member

I've tried Googling "Rifampin" and various terms like "smell sensitivity," but I haven't found anything addressing the issue.

I've always had a really sensitive nose, but now it's really too much. I can smell people (freshly bathed and totally clean people) from up to 10 feet away. Going to the grocery store is like an assult on my poor nose.

I'm on a bunch of meds and supplements, but the "supernose" effect didn't kick in until about two weeks after I started the Rifampin. I actually talked to my LLMD about it, and he's switched me to another abx, but the supernose hasn't gone away yet.

My friends and family keep asking me if I'm pregnant (I'm definitly not), so now I'm wondering if maybe my hormones are just scrambled. (Lots of women have reported supernose effects during and after pregnancy.)
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I developed my supernose when my liver enzymes became elevated from some drug I was on. Then I developed chemical sensitivities and can smell things nobody else can smell.

I am wondering if perhaps Rifampin is hard on the liver. Do you get your liver enzymes checked regularly? Just a thought since I am new to this whole Lyme thing.

(((HUGS)))Pepper
  5. smhaws

smhaws New Member

Good thoughts, pepper. I actually just got a CBC and CMP last week, and I should be getting the results any day. I'm definitely on a lot of things that can be hard on the liver, so I'll be very interested in the results.