Rimonabant (Acomplia) for Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dunnlb, Oct 8, 2006.

1. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I have just ordered some. I hope it works. It is very expensive, $220 for a month's supply. I am going to take it once a day for a week or two and then go to once every 2 or 3 days. Maybe it will continue to work that long. I can't afford it any other way. I ordered it from
    http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/weight-loss/acomplia.html

Product Name : Acomplia
    Product Type : Rimonabant
    Manufacturer : Sanofi-Aventis
    Packaging : 20mg Tablets in Packets of 28 Tablets

- Product Price List -
    Acomplia 20mg - 28 Tablets US $220.00
    Acomplia 20mg - 56 Tablets US $400.00
    Acomplia 20mg - 84 Tablets US $540.00

I have already received it. I have taken a couple of tablets and it does seem to work. I don't have any kinds of cravings.

I found this article on Acomplia:

What Is Acomplia / Rimonabant / Zimulti (what it will be called in U.S.)

Rimonabant, discovered and developed by French pharmaceutical company Sanofi-Synthelabo, is a new drug thas has shown great promise in trials for the treatment of obesity and related metabolic risk factors.

Rimonabant is already on the market in Europe, being sold under the trade name Acomplia, and is awaiting approval in the United States. It appears that the FDA will not permit rimonabant to be sold as Acomplia in the U.S., and Sanofi is believed preparing to market it in the United States as Zimulti.

Rimonabant works by blocking the CB1 receptor, one of two receptors found in a newly described physiological system called the Endocannabinoid System (EC System), believed to play a critical role in the regulation of food intake and energy expenditure.

The receptors are present on the surfaces of many cells throughout the body, including fat cells -- which are involved in lipid and glucose metabolism -- and those in the hypothalamus, the brain region that is thought to determine appetite.

Cannabinoids, chemical compounds produced by your body, latch on to the CB1 receptors, which are overactive in overweight and obese individuals, sending out a signal that prompts people to eat more.

Researchers wondered whether a drug that halted this action might curb appetite, and in 2001, the first animal study was conducted at the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism in Bethesda, Md.

In the study, genetically altered mice that lacked cannabinoid receptors ate less than their litter mates, even after 18 hours of fasting. When the normal mice were given rimonabant, which blocked their CB1 receptors, the mice reduced their food intake.

In 2002, Sanofi-Synthelabo began human tests.

Acomplia works by selectively targeting and blocking the CB1 receptors, helping normalize the over-activation of the EC system and making hunger or cigarette pangs more manageable.

Much of the excitement about Acomplia stems from early results suggesting that the blocking of signals that control cravings not only facilitates weight loss, but that it also improves cardiovascular/ metabolic risk factors in overweight/obese patients.

In the RIO-Lipids trial, weight loss was accompanied by a decrease in waist size of 3.4 inches demonstrating a significant reduction in abdominal obesity, an independent marker for heart disease.

Dramatic improvements also were reported in lipid profile with a 23% increase in HDL-cholesterol (good cholesterol) and a 15% decrease in triglycerides.

Improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin levels were also reported. Approximately half of the patients diagnosed at the start of the study with metabolic syndrome, who received the higher 20 mg daily dose of Acomplia, no longer had this condition at the conclusion of the trial.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2006]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i heard people would lose about 10% of body fat from it...

and help w/stop cigrette smoking..

jodie
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

xray tech...are you still doing it...? if i can not succeed in some other majors i have thought about xray technician....

i wanted to do ultrasound...thinking this would be less painful on my body...read my bio..tell me what you personally think...

is there really alot of heavy lifting involved...all i can remember when ever i have had to do any xrays or mri or ultrasounds..no one lifted me up...

jodie
  4. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I work in a clinic where all the patients are pretty much able to move themselves. In a "real" hospital the work is very hard. I don't think I would be able to do it. I also have attention deficit disorder (self-diagnosed) and have a hard time keeping up with a lot of things. I would be afraid I would make a critical mistake.

About ultrasound, from what I have seen, it doesn't seem to be too strenuous. There is some reaching and quite a lot of standing. That's about all I know about it.

Cymbalta has made a lot of difference in my pain. Even short periods of standing would just about kill me before. My worst times are before storms now. I don't hurt all the time like I used to.

About Acomplia, no, it is not approved here yet. It should be by the end of the year. Unless it is approved for metabolic syndrome, insurance will not pay for it. Insurance doesn't pay for anything prescribed just for weight loss. I have been following Acomplia for years and, from what I can tell, it is safe. I took a chance and ordered it from overseas (Australia). It is the original package and I can tell that it works.
    Linda
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have thought about mri tech as well...it all depends on the old body.....

but i can not afford to live off from ssdi for ever...well atleast i just got my section voucher so that will certainly help though...

how do you order from the u.s. from australia..?do you still need a dr's script?

i have never ordered meds online so i am niave on that topic..

i have been getting excited about this med myself...

thank you again for your time...

jodie
  6. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Just go to that website and order like you would from anywhere else. It is actually very simple. I order all sorts of things from there, like generic Fosamax, my neighbor's diabetes meds and my sister's blood pressure medicine. It is the same pharmacy as 4 Corners Pharmacy. They are very reliable. It takes about 2 weeks to get the order. I use my Visa card.

I read about these pharmacies over 10 years ago in a Newsweek magazine. It was an article about how seniors were saving a lot of money by ordering overseas from 4 Corners Pharmacy.

In your address bar, just type in "4 Corners Pharmacy". Then go down the page to "weight loss" on the right. Then click on "Acomplia" on the right. If your package gets lost, they will replace it. I have had that happen only once in many orders.

Also, look through the generics. There might be something you need.

You don't need a prescription to order anything from there.
    Shipping is free.

7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

thank you for your tips...

jodie