Ringing in ear getting worse.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Feb 24, 2009.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Not long after all this started 3 years ago my left ear started ringing.

It was tolerable for the last 2 years but in the last few months it has gotten noticeably louder. Now, it distracts me almost all the time where as before it wasn't so bad and it wasn't until I was quiet and in a quiet place that it was a concern.

Anyone know if there is any treatment for this? Can this be treated? Does it only get worse?

2. hensue

hensue New Member

I got a sinus infection the doc gave me zithromax, got better and was visiting my son and my new granddaughter. Started having ringing in left ear. Could not hear at all out of it.
    I finally waited till i got home this went on about two weeks, went to my doc and I had piles of wax in my ear. He kept pulling it out hurt too. I did not care though, i wanted to hear.
    Blood was every where, I can now hear out of the ear but the hissing sound is still there.

What is so scary my mother lost hearing in both ears do the fact she had osteporisis and the hammer in her ear more or less went away. So I am scared to death this is going to happen to me. I keep thinking i am going to get up one morning and this noise is going away.
    My sister told me my mother also continously had this wax problem, she always told me after a cold she would lose some of hearing.

So I am getting a little scared about this sound, the doc said my ear canals are twisted. I am not suprised I feel twisted I am wondering now if my mother had that?
    If it doesnt stop soon I am going to an Ear nose and throat doc.
    This will drive you crazy but at least I can hear now.
    It is tolerable as you say before I got the wax out it was not.
    Any ideas people??????
    We are all ears
  3. GKTLA

GKTLA New Member

Hi Joeb-

Unfortunately, tinnitus is yet another condition for which modern medicine has few answers. I've been suffering from it since high school and it has been getting worse at a much faster rate these past few years of severe illness. Medications can contribute to it but I've also read that it is largely inherited. My dad has poor hearing but never complained about ringing.

I have been trying to just live with it. I sleep with a noise machine on...that helps. I know it can drive a person batty...but I would rather feel better on a daily basis and have tinnitus so I try to focus on other things.

CFS affects every system in the body; I guess our ears are no exception.

Try to see if one of your meds is contributing to it.
  4. tut90

tut90 Member

I've had this for years, I know how disturbing the noise in the ears could be, in my case it sounds like I have crickets in my head, I try to take a nap during the day and the noise just drives me crazy. I read that caffeine could make it worst. I started taking Lipo-Flavonoid a few months ago, and noticed that it has help me some. In my case the tinnitus is due to having TMJ, I grind my teeth when sleeping, now I wear a mouth guard at night.

5. hensue

hensue New Member

He has worked around heavy machinery all his life. We know for a fact that has affected his hearing.
    That is weird you said that mines sounds like a hissing sound.
    I am not just going to deal with it I might not can get rid of noise but i dont want to go deaf
  6. hopabout

hopabout New Member

My sister has been deaf in one ear since she was a teenager. She has horrible ringing that sometimes drives her crazy. I do too and it is usually associated with weather.... or allergies.

She found articles that recently they have discovered new things that stopped old beliefs about tennitis, etc.

Put these words in google: innovations reports 15342 The first entry should say new cure for tennitis.

I don't know anything about this treatment or these people so I am not suggestion you do what is said here, but the information is sure worth sharing with a doctor !

hope it helps,
  7. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I do however, I have menere's disease. Try eliminating salt from your diet and I mean read every label and see if that helps.