Ritalin for pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sadie101, Jun 18, 2008.

1. sadie101

sadie101 New Member

Hi everyone. my doctor gave me a RX for concerta(Ritalin)to help with pain. it sounded crazy to me at first. but she said it works on the central nervous system to calm it for people with ADHD. so doctors have been trying it for fibro pain,memory and concentration. my doctor gave me 18mgs to start out but I am nervous to try it. I was just wondering if anyone has heard about this treatment?
    or if anyone has tried it?

take care
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

My dr just gave me Ritalin on Monday. It was supposed to be 20mg extended release (basically the same thing as Concerta), but the pharmacy misread the dr's writing and gave me the regular generic Ritalin. I felt like I had had a couple cups of coffee for about 2 hrs and then I crashed and could barely keep my eyes open. I have called pharmacy and dr and am waiting to get the extended release, hopefully it will work better.

My dr says the same thing as yours, also it should help w focus and energy. I've been taking Provigil for over a yr and it's not working much anymore so he wanted me to try this. Don't be afraid to try it, if you don't like what it does for you, just quit. It's always a crap shoot finding the right meds, I've gone thru lots over the yrs. Good luck.

P.S. Here's a site that explains how Ritalin supposedly helps...

http://www.addfibro.com/medications.htm[This Message was Edited on 06/18/2008]
  3. cfsandlyme

cfsandlyme New Member

I tried ritalin once and it gave me a headache and put me to sleep.

However, I find that another amphetamine, dexedrine, is great for energy. Unfortunately it seems to be hard on my body and there is a slight chance that even at my low doses it might be putting me down a bit, so I'm trying to cut back. AS it is I only take it about one day a week.
  4. jaime13

jaime13 New Member

My Dr. put me on ritalin but it didn't work, than he tried me on adderall which does help quite a bit! It gives me energy and having that get up and go-enpowers me to do a lot of things I couldn't do without.IT is alife saver. jaime