Ritalin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GoldensRule, Mar 25, 2007.

1. GoldensRule

GoldensRule New Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia many years ago. In the last three years it has gotten really bad. I have been off of work for the past 6 months and am returning to work full-time next week.

I am working with several doctors (including a psychiatrist)who have me on meds for pain, sleep, and depression. I am also taking several supplements which the doctors are aware of.

My doctor recently prescribed Ritalin (20mg) for energy since I am always exhausted. I have been on it for a week and have not noticed a difference in my energy level. Has anyone else had any experience with this medication?

I exercise everyday to try to increase my energy but nothing seems to help. I am really worried about returning to work because I may have to resort to caffeine pills to stay alert.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I take Ritalin...10 mg once in the am and once at 2 pm. I do notice a difference...not a huge one in the sense that im bouncing off the walls...but thats not what its suppose to do.

I do not nap during the day and I am able to do some normal activities.

Do you take it twice a day? If you only take it once, that may be a reason why. Perhaps you should suggest trying Adderall to your doc...it is a little more "speedy" than Ritalin.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,
    Steph
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

My 16-year-old daughter and I both have CFS. Our doc put her on Ritalin (20 mg in the morning) about 1-1/2 weeks ago. I just asked her...she said she feels a "little" more energetic. I guess at this point, we'll try anything!!! (I thought it was interesting that he gave HER the Ritalin, but he never suggested putting me on it...wonder why???)

TerryS
  4. GoldensRule

GoldensRule New Member

I am actually taking Ritalin LA (20mg) so I only take one pill in the am. I am still exhausted. All my blood tests came back ok (including thyroid). My 80 year old father has more energy than me!!!!
  5. bree~leigh

bree~leigh New Member

I like Dr. David Bell's philosophy...low doses used occoasionally okay if it does not cause push-crash cycles. Good for some, not for others.

I personally use low dose of short acting adderall in the mid afternoons so I can get through a few hours when my kids come home from school when they need me the most. I make sure I lie down frequently during this period so I do not push. It has been the only thing that gives me the mental clarity to care for my children during these crucial hours. We do what we have to do.
    This seems to work for me.

Long acting stimulants are not right for me, some do well ie.. provigil.
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

The long acting Ritalin does not work as well as the instant release. I was on Concerta which is an extended release version of Ritalin before I tried the regular instant release Ritalin and it did not work as well.

Ask your doc about taking regular IR Ritalin...but you probably wouldnt need 20 mg...and you would need to take it a few times a day.

Steph