RLS and mirapex

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lillieblake, Jun 30, 2008.

1. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I just started Mirapex last night for RLS.

I slept all night, then again all day.

Was so tired I couldn't even wake up to drink Pepsi, my caffeine of choice.

Anyone have this sleepy result from Mirapex? I sleep enough as it is, I can't possibly sleep anymore and still have some semblance of a life!

HURTIN New Member

Lillieblake, I've never personally taken Mirapex, but I know someone who does. She was prescribed Mirapex to promote a restful sleep after spending time at a sleep clinic. She loves it because she managed to lose a few pounds which happens to be a side effect of the medication. I copied this information for you from fmnetnews.

Mirapex for Sleep

Sleep studies indicate that restless legs syndrome (RLS) and periodic limb movements during sleep (PLMS) are common in fibromyalgia patients (roughly 50%). Sinemet (containing an L-Dopa/carbidopa mix) and clonazepam (an anti-seizure benzodiazepine) were identified as treatment options. However, a newer dopa-like drug called Mirapex (pramipexole) is rapidly becoming the most commonly prescribed therapy for RLS/PLMS.13 Mirapex has the least amount of side effects among the dopa-agonist drugs due to its longer duration of action.14 Its main side effects include mild nausea and dizziness. As for clonazepam, it still remains an option for RLS/PLMS, but tolerance buildup requiring a higher dose over time is always a concern.

Sleep expert Harvey Moldofsky, M.D., of The University of Toronto, mentions the use of Mirapex for fibromyalgia patients with RLS and/or PLMS in his recent report on strategies for treating the sleep disorders in fibromyalgia syndrome.15 He says 0.25 mg of Mirapex given at 8:00 p.m. "is very useful in controlling the restless legs and sleep disturbance so that the patient will feel more rested, not fatigued, and alert during the day." Patients may find it easiest to start with the lowest dose of 0.125 mg and work up to 0.25 mg, which is still considered a very low dose.