RLS and Prohealth Article. :>)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jan 4, 2011.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I found this article intriguing. While I don't know the validity of the study it makes me wonder if there are studies on FM getting the same results as the RLS article.

I have always thought, as well as my rheumy/neurologist that my RLS is related to my FM in that it is a a sensory issue and not an autoimmune disorder.

Maybe this is why I don't get relief from topical pain creams. It could also be why some of us who don't have an autoimmune disorder with FM do not find Neurontin helpful for out symptoms?

Note I put maybe and could as this is my personal opinion from my readings/research and what I've experienced as well as my what my doctor's are saying about my particular case of FM/RLS.

Please note that my statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. :>)

"Where Is the Core of the Volcano? The Undetermined Origin of Primary Restless Legs Syndrome – Source: International Journal of Neuroscience, Dec 8, 2010
    by Baris Isak, Kadriye Agan, et al.
    December 31, 2010

An association between small fiber neuropathy and primary Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) is suggested since both of them share common characteristics. Our aim was to investigate the existence of autonomic neuropathy [damage to nerves involved in automatic body functions] on the basis of autonomic tests.

The patients and the age-matched controls were evaluated with Neuropathy Symptom Profile and Autonomic Symptom Profile, nerve conduction studies (NCS), and autonomic tests.

Patients suffered from neuropathic and autonomic complaints obviously. There was no significant difference for nerve conduction studies (NCS), heart rate variability tests, and sympathetic skin responses (SSRs) among patients and controls.

Since both the nerve conduction studies and the autonomic tests were within normal [range], the complaints were considered to be the consequences of the problem in sensory integration due to the dysfunction of the caudal diencephalic A11 group [sensory transmitters in the brain pertaining to lower part of back/legs], rather than a neuropathic process.

The cardiac autonomic imbalance possibly emerges as a consequence of arousal periods prior to or during the Periodic Leg Movements (PLM) episodes during sleep, but not due to autonomic neuropathy.

Source: International Journal of Neuroscience, Dec 8, 2010. PMID: 21138399, by Isak B, Agan K, Ergun A, Cakkalkurt A, Uluc K, Tanridag T, Us O. Department of Neurology, Marmara University Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey. [E-mail: kagan@marmara.edu.tr]"

[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2011]
  2. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I did have sleep apenea but they did not look for RLS at the time. Since then which has been two years I went to a different DR and I have lost weight. He immediately thought I could have RLS so he tested me for it along with Sleep Apenea. It turns out that I no longer have sleep apenea but I have RLS and insomnia. He prescriped a pill for dopminane (sp) and I feel so much better I can't believe it. It goes to show you not all Dr's are cut from the same mold.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

RLS may not be picked up on a sleep test as you don't necessarily move your legs as with PLMD, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. It can be very disruptive to your sleep, even if you don't move your legs. The symptoms are very striking. I find that mine are very similar to the aching of FM.

Wow!! I have never heard of anyone having apnea and later not having it. I am not saying you didn't but you must be quite relieved. Yes, weight loss can help but usually means that your setting is lowered, but as my doctor told me even if I lose weight which I need to do, my facial, mouth, airway structure, I will probably always be on the CPAP. As you get older, not old, LOL, but usually in your fifties, sometimes earlier, the muscles in you tongue become more lax. I have very few problems with the CPAP other than the normal adjustments.

Do you know what's your AHI - Apnea/Hypopnea Index? Some apnea episodes are normal but if they are above 5 per hour, your apnea needs to be treated. I am in the severe range at 51 episodes of not breathing for ten seconds or more and some people have much higher scores.Yikes!!

Is your second doctor board certified in sleep disorders? Was your first? That can make a big difference in how accurately you are diagnosed. Just by chance my sleep neurologist is known nationally. His wife and daughter have RLS and he was (is) on the National Board for RLS. Can't remember the name of this organization. He has also written about RLS.

A good forum for RLS and other sleep disorders is TalkAboutSleep. For apnea info. I recommend apneasupport.org. They are affiliated with the American Sleep Apnea Association.

I take clonazepam the generic version of Klonopin for the RLS. I can take Mirapix if needed which I sometimes do but not often.

As I am sure you know that being anemic, even low ferritin levels can make RLS worse but it does not cause it.

I like your point about doctor's not being cut from the same mold. Something to keep in mind when it comes to a decision to change doctors. Glad you did.

Take care.